Sick platys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so in my other thread I briefly talked about this but I realize how big of an issue this is now. I have 2 platys, one baby platy and 6 neons in a 10 gallon tank. It's overstocked and I'm planning to move the neons out of the 10 into my 40 when it is finished cycling but I'm worried about the female platys.

One is really skinny. No matter how much I change the water, add salt and switch the diet it doesn't seem to help. She will often stop what she's doing and turn on her side as well for a few seconds.

The other platy is much bigger and looks like she's in perfect shape but occasionally she shakes and scrapes herself against the heater and swims very frantically against the glass.

None of the other fish show any signs of sickness. Is there anything I could do?

This is what they look like

image-2490348923.jpg

The skinny one is the sicker one. I'm thinkin about putting it down today because its just really suffering. The other one looks better

Those are signs of ich in the gills in which will cause breathing problems as the fish starts having difficulty getting enough oxygen. Other signs include flashing. This is when the fish rub and scratch themselves with quick movements on objects in the tank, often showing the lighter bottom side of the fish, which is called flashing. Lethargy and appetite reduction can also be clues but you won't have any visable signs of the parasite.

Those are signs of ich in the gills in which will cause breathing problems as the fish starts having difficulty getting enough oxygen. Other signs include flashing. This is when the fish rub and scratch themselves with quick movements on objects in the tank, often showing the lighter bottom side of the fish, which is called flashing. Lethargy and appetite reduction can also be clues but you won't have any visable signs of the parasite.

Hey river cats these are the same two fish that are stopping me from moving the ram from the 40 as we talked earlier. I want to cure these two platys (or put them down if they get worse) so I can have a danger-free spare tank. What so you suggest I could do to cure them? My water is a little above 0ppm but not even too close to .25 and platys are supposed to be hardy anyways so I'm sure it's not the water.

Would you suggest anything else?

If your already treating the platy tank with salt you also need to slowly raise your water temp to 86F I believe. I haven't done this in years so you might want to post in the "Unhealthy Fish" forum to ask what temp the water needs to be raised to and how long to leave it raised. It's been too long and I honestly can't remember.

There isn't really an option to control the temp in my heater, but I'll see if I can get one that does. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom