Sick pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubba rust

Aquarium Advice Regular
What does this lighter stuff look like to you guys? Is it bad?

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1401371475151.jpg
    1401371475151.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 70
Can't tell for sure from the pic, but they do get gray splotches from lighting and stress. It's perfectly normal, does he have places he can get completely out of the light?

That's good to hear. And yes he does. But he only has 1 big enough for him and he doesn't spend much time it.

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, keep an eye on him in case it's a fungus of some sort, but if it comes and goes and is a coloration, rather than being external he is fine. When I had my sailfin and saw the splotches after turning the lights on, I know I freaked out and started googling immediately! Worth noting here is that these guys can overload a tanks bio-filter very easily with the amount of waste they produce! The beneficial bacteria simply can't keep up in smaller tanks or tanks without adequate filtration/maintenance. For reference here is the info from live aquaria.com on them:

QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 125 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Peaceful
Water Conditions: 74-79° F, KH 6-10, pH 6.5-7.4
Max. Size: 1' 6"
Color Form: Tan
Diet: Omnivore
Origin: South America
Family: Loricariidae

What do these Quick Stats mean? Click here

overview
The Sailfin Pleco comes from the rivers and tributaries of South America. The body is different shades of brown with a pattern of lighter markings covering it. This species receives its name from its large dorsal fin. Sailfin Plecos make good additions to any community aquarium.
The Sailfin Pleco, Marble Albino, is a captive-bred species known by many scientific names, the most common being Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps. The Albino Marble Sailfin Pleco is also known as the Spotted Sailfin Plecostomus. Originating from the Rio Pacaya in Peru, South America, the Albino Marble Sailfin Pleco is a peaceful, bottom-dwelling member of the armour-plated catfish group.

Planted aquariums with hearty, fast-growing plants, high aeration, and water movement make for a healthy environment. Rocks and driftwood help to accent a natural habitat and provide hiding spaces to reduce stress for the Sailfin Pleco. A recommended minimum tank of 125 gallons should be provided to house this fish.

The Sailfin Pleco spawns in tunnels dug out of the mud banks of various tributaries. A very large aquarium with a wall of mud is required for this species to spawn. Because of this requirement, it has not yet been done in an aquarium.

Feeding the Sailfin Pleco is not difficult due to the fact that it is not a picky eater. Feeding off the bottom of the aquarium, it gets most of its nutrition from left over food and algae. If there is no algae or left over food present, supplement with high quality flake food, sinking carnivore pellets, freeze-dried bloodworms, and tubifex.

Approximate Purchase Size: Sailfin Pleco: 2" to 4"; Marble Sailfin Pleco, Albino: Small 2-1/2" to 3"; Medium 4" to 5"

Back
Top Bottom