Sick Puffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xkenneth

Aquarium Advice Activist
My girlfriend has a puffer that is not looking so good an were not sure how to help it. He is a green spotted puffer and currerntly lives in a 5 gallon tank. He will be moved to a 60 gallon tank or bigger within a week. He has become very inactive, a bit darker than when she originally got him and has started to refuse beef heart, even though he has eaten it before. I put some ghost shrimp in his tank as snacks and he just ignored them. The water is brackish (1.012), and the temp is around 78-80. Any suggestions as to how to perk this guy up? Currently he is about 3 inches long.

Did you just get the puffer? How long has it been kept in the brackish conditions? GSP's are generally kept in freshwater to very light brackish water. If it was kept in FW at the store, that may be your problem. Othewise, are all water parameters good? Try a 50% water change and see if that helps.

What are your readings for nitrate,nitrite and ammonia. A 3" GSP in a 5 gallon tank produces a lot of waste. Your SG sounds good since as they mature GSP's bo best in high-end BW or marine conditions. I have a 3-4" GSP in a 50 gallon tank and my SG is at 1.018.

Back
Top Bottom