Sick severums?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fenwaybarks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had 3 young severums for about 3 months now in a 55 gallon tank. After the first two months they were doing fine without problems then i added a jack Dempsey. This fish was too agreessive toward the fish so i removed him. There fins were beat up and they had these werid black markings on their backs. At first i thought they were just from the fish hurting them but now after a month without the jack Dempsey the black discoloartion is still there. I have no idea what this is or what to do ive attached pictures. Please help!!

image-2360710924.jpg

image-212797505.jpg

Help Sick severums?!

I've had 3 young severums for about 3 months now in a 55 gallon tank. After the first two months they were doing fine without problems then i added a jack Dempsey. This fish was too agreessive toward the fish so i removed him. There fins were beat up and they had these werid black markings on their backs. At first i thought they were just from the fish hurting them but now after a month without the jack Dempsey the black discoloartion is still there. I have no idea what this is or what to do ive attached pictures. Please help!!

View attachment 134805

View attachment 134806

Nice Urau in your avatar, one of my favorites!

The black spots are very common and is nothing to worry about, these changes can range from genetic coloration, stress, and diet(high in spirulina).

Gold severums are the result of a genetic condition called oligomelanism, which means they lack black pigment. But it's not uncommon to see these form over time as the fish ages, new fins, or when stressed, it's nothing to worry about. Keep the water clean, feed quality food, and keep the stress at a minimum and they'll be fine.

Last edited:
Oh great alright thats a relieve but thanks yeah definitely my favorite fish i own!

Back
Top Bottom