Skinny rummynose tetra...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you can't get a specific diagnosis from an expert on this forum (or through your own research on the web), I'd say use a general parasite treatment. If you have to order it online, use expedited shipping. Time is of the essence.

Alright, can I ask for feedback on these general parasite meds...

API General cure

Praziquantel liquid (prazipro) or medicated flakes with prazi

Metro+

Also, if these can/cannot be combined please let me know!

I really, really appreciate the help everyone!

After doing more research I found API General cure combines prazi and metro+ so I decided to go ahead and get a bulk bottle of it to treat this tank.

I had to order it online as it is not available anywhere locally. It will arrive Tuesday morning.

I will keep you all updated as I have found that not a lot if information exists about this particular situation online.

Thanks your help and advice everyone.

Metro+ has salt in it.

Ingredients in metro+:
Metronidazole (2-methyl-5-nitroimidazole-1-ethanol) (active ingredient); sodium chloride, synthetic polymers and a chelating agent.

Can't find listing for inactive ingredients in API General Cure. Active Ingredients: 250 mg Metronidazole and 75 mg Praziquantel per packet.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

So API suggest you add aquarium salt in addition to this product at the suggested dose. As far as I can tell it is indeed straight medicine with possibly some salt added, but hardly any.

Anyways, I added the API General cure to my tank today. According to the directions I add another dose in 48hours, then wait 48 hours before doing a large water change.

I am watching the corys for signs of stress but so far so good.

I keep you all updated!

It has 24 hours since I first dosed the tank.

Everyone is looking awesome! Their colors are deeper, especially the rummynose tetras. No more losses. The corys also appear normal. No heavy breathing. My gbrs are acting normal, but I did notice their poo looks clearish and thin now.

Some pics!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410391878.454185.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410391929.842773.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410391966.142861.jpg

The product itself could not be easier to use. I purchased the 850 gram container as I wanted to treat all my tanks (since I shared the same water change hose). The container sines with its own scoop and the directions tell you how many scoops per gallon. Or for really large tanks, 1000 gallons+, it also has instructions. It is pricey though! So, this was an expensive gamble for me. Anyways, that's my 2 cents on the product so far.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410392026.781823.jpg

Well, that sounds good. Your tetras are very rummy in the face, which is a good sign.

I take it the medication gives that yellow tint?

The yellow tint is my new driftwood.

Even when I wait till my soaking bucket water is clear, soon as I put it in my tank it still has more tannins to give. Lol

The tannins are prolly helping your fish get well faster. Good that you added it.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

So far so good! It's day 3 of treatment which means round two of API General cure.

Everyone continues to look happy. I am no longer seeing any rummys with sunken stomachs. Maybe smooth instead of rounded, but not unhealthy looking. I am feeding flake and granules and everyone looks fine.

No more clearish poo, at least not right now.

Also, I mentioned I received these from wetspot. I want to stress that these were bought as WILD fish, so I am not laying any blame on wetspot. I knowingly bought wild fish. Also, I have received MANY fish from wetspot that were disease free, healthy, beautiful, and all have arrived alive!

Update:

Everyone looks great and I finished treatment with all my tanks. No more sunken stomachs and they all appear to be a healthy weight too!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411015359.526306.jpg

Also, my cat thinks things are looking good as well :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411015392.229090.jpg

So, I would recommend API General Cure for internal parasites, especially if you are not sure what type of parasite you are facing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom