'Sleepy' betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foofty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My male betta 'George' who I bought a couple of months back now has been having a few problems these past few weeks. Up until about two weeks ago he was always darting around as happy as anything, coming up for food as soon as I opened the lid at feeding time and even constantly blowing bubbles. However the other week he started to get some signs of fin rot, this did not stop his usual behavior and within a week the fin rot had cleared. Until it appeared on another fin a few days later. Now unfortunately I had to go away for a few days and my brother seems to have neglected him, failed to turn on the light and also failed to notice the fuse in the heater had blown. I have now fixed the heater and the water temperature is back up to a nice toasty 82 degrees for George but he just seems to rest at the bottom of the tank or float near the top. He's lost some color but only round his face (much like they do whilst the light is turned off during the night) and doesn't swim around a lot (only if he is chasing another fish in the tank), rarely even coming up for air or food. He's been in this state for two days/nights now. Could it be the dosage of interpet anti-fungus and fin-rot medicine making him like this or is it something more serious?

thanks in advance =]

(p.s. I've changed 30% of the water last night and it doesn't seem to have made a lot of difference. also, is it a bad thing to occasionally help him to the surface to breathe?)

Could be the medication. How big is the tank? Is there other fish in there? Have you tested for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate at all? If so, I would do some. Lethargy can be a sign of so many things.

Welcome to AA, btw!

thanks Devilishturtles! ^^
George lives in a 27 liter tank with both heat and filter. He shares the tank with only 2 neon tetras (i know this is a no-no but he has hiding space and they have never bothered him anyway) four shrimp and a loach. They've been living happily like this since i got George now. I think the only problem with his tank mates is the loach since it is quite 'flippy' and always flapping around everywhere and shooting out of the water.
I haven't tested the water yet but i'll try and pick up a kit tomorrow on the way home from college =]
would another water change today be recommended? bearing in mind i did a 30% change yesterday

I would get your test results first and then we can see what plan of action to take.

Hi =]
good news, George appears to be better now! :D I don't know what the problem was. Maybe just the fact he had the heater off for a week and no light? oh well, he's swimming around coming up for food and air and giving me little shows when I go near the tank again :D

on another note, is it healthy for live bloodworm to be left in a tank if they don't get eaten? just wondering

thanks =]

Glad to hear he is better. Could have just been a little stress George was suffering.

I'd remove the bloodworm if it were my tank, just to keep the water as clean as possible.

:)

Back
Top Bottom