Snail shell seems to be deteriating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PITT

Aquarium Advice Activist
My mystery stails seem to be loosing their shell or having it erode from the older inner out. The one health ypart seems to be the new growth area. There are several babies and they seem to be suffering form the same thing. Anything I can do to help them? I like my snails

Go to www.applesnail.net has great information in the disease section. I will paste what they say about shells and it is often water quality. You may want to post your PH reading and how hard the water is as those are vital in snail shell health.

From applesnail.net

"The most important thing to remember is that the rigidity of the shell is provided by a strong, calcified inside, with a protective protein layer at the outside. It's the latter that prevents the chemical detoriation of the calcium at the inside. Once the protective outer layer is damaged, the calcium layer is exposed to the water. This shouldn't be a big problem, as long as the water is rich in calcium and is not acid, but once the pH of the water drops and the water becomes acid (pH below 7), the calciums starts to dissolve. As long as this process advances at a slow speed, the snails is often able to enforce the calcium layer, although only at the inside. The ouside of the shell is dead material, and cannot be repaired by the snail itself, so once damaged, it will stay that way. The oldest parts of the shell (the shell top) and those places that are often hot when a snail fall on the bottom are also the places that are most vulnerable as the protective outer layer is often damaged at those parts. Problems arise once the shell is detoriated that much that holes are formed, exposing the soft tissues below. In case of large holes, the snail can get problems with keeping the mantle cavity open, with lung collapse and other problems as result. Nevertheless, smaller holes an pose a problem as well, especially in a crowded tank, as other snails and fish won't hesitate to eat the exposed tissues. Luckely, snails do have some kind of repair system: they simply calcify the exposed tissues to protect them. "

How to correct it

"So what to do once a snail has gaping holes and or a detoriated shell surface?
First of all, check the water quality: is the pH at 7 or more? (keep it between 7 - 8 ). How about the water hardness? (keep the kH and GH high).
A good way to regulate the water quality is to add a source of calcium in the form of crushed egg shells, specialized preparated, crushed sea-shells, marble or something similar. Once you are sure that the water is well enough to halt further detoriation, one has to decide if the shell should be repaired or not. If the snail is active, one can assume that the snail does not suffer from the damage. In such case a repair should be rather considerd a protective measurement to prevent other snails from attacking the exposed tissues. If however, there are no possible tissue eaters like fish and snails around, or if the holes are that small that the tissue stays out or reach, one can choose to leave the situation like it is. The snail will calcify the vulnerable tissues anyway as reaction to the exposition to water."

Also www.rainbowsnails.com sells calcium drops for snail as well.

I am still in my first year of tank keeping and keeping a snail. I am a newbie.

I do know with my snail his shell has always been healthy. I had a higher PH and hardness in my tank. He had to spend a few weeks at my sisters house in her tank and she has softer water and a lower PH he came home with some minor little holes in his shell on the spiral that are still there a few months later. Back in my higher PH and hardness they stopped. He is in a 55gl now that I keep a lower PH compared to the 10gl he was in and my water is not as hard as it was but it is still hard and his shell is remaining the same. My PH in this tank is running at 7.5 right now. my 10gl was above 8

Hope that helps.

Snails will munch on cuttlebone (found in the pet bird dept) - drop a dime or nickle sized piece into the tank. That will give them a good source of calcium.

Thanks for the help...

my PH is hoovering around 6.8-7...

I just started using a GH boot in my tank.

They still always on the move but they just don't look good anymore. They really don't seem to mind but i didn't know if it was a disease in the tank or a deficiency in the H2O

It's not an issue now but if you don't work on it their shells will begin to erode all the way through and they'll die. I believe there's a good article on applesnail about repairing shell damage with nail polish before it gets too bad. I have't tried it but it could work (just don't do it without reading first!)

try the cuttlebone - that will allow them to calcify from the inside - they can't really repair the shell, but by calcifying on the inside they'll protect themselves and they won't die
Just a little piece - dime or nickle sized at the largest.

I have to say, the cuttlebone didn't seem to make much difference for my snail (he certainly didn't eat it)--but I also have very, very, very soft water. Since my snail broke part of his shell I've been adding liquid calcium to the tank and I must say, his new shell looks better than his old...

Back
Top Bottom