SOS is this ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys just as thought things were on the up I think my tank may have ich. The only fish affected are my chili rasboras, I'm unable to tell if they are flashing as they zip around normally!! They have little white spots mainly on the fins not on the body and my new betta doesn't appear affected.
I've added the best photo I can a they don't like to stay still, and some of the white bits in the water is food as that's the only thing that brings them to the top!
If it is ich I have aquarium salt but always get confused with the dosing! My temp is 80 at the minute. Any advice greatfully received ?

Attachments

• image-205796402.jpg
    image-205796402.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 113
Raise the heat to 88 n leave it there a minimum of a week after u see the last spots. This will speed up the life cycle of the ich already in the fish so it might look worse before it gets better.

Looks/sounds like ich.
Usually, you can kill ich with just heat. 86-88 should kill it. Like wiggles said, keep the temp up for a week after the last visible spot is gone. Any given ich treatment only kills one lifecycle of the ich, so you have to treat through the entire ich lifer cycle to make sure that every bit of it has reached the life stage where it can be killed.
Generally with heat, it will seem to get worse before it gets better. That is normal. Just be aware that you will likely see more spots pop up once you raise the temp.

Fab thank you!! Do I need to salt too or just heat? I know to raise the temp slowly

Ok thanks. I'm not sure if I can get the water that high may need to get a cheap secondary heater the thermometer is showing 80 and my heater on 89!!

Ok so the tank is up to 88 now and the heat must help as the chillis are all huddled round the heater bless them

My chilli rasboras are dropping like flies. I've lost three already today so disappointed - I'm considering adding meds just to see if it appends up recovery?

:( That stinks. Try dropping the heat a tad and see if it makes a difference. Maybe 88 is bit high for them.
Did you try salt?

I've lost 6 of them now just recovered some more bodies after a night shift and only had 10 to start! Can only see two though! I only added salt yesterday and have added protozin as they were really covered in spots.
I'm not sure it's the he's as they are choosing to be by the heater

Oh well my entire school of rasboras have been wiped out so ill have to concentrate on sorting the betta before trying to source some more. They are like gold dust round here though ?

This thread is about the OP's ich. If you have other questions of your own, please start your own thread so that everybody gets the proper help they need for their own situations and all the fish get help. :)
OT posts have been deleted.

That is too bad. :( I hope you can get the betta sorted out.

Thanks. He's looking good no more fin loss and the white on the fins have gone, once the meds have stopped I can start working towards getting the regrowth sorted. Not sure if I'm destined to have a happy betta!

Back
Top Bottom