Stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishieguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, my 10G (my first tank) has a gold mickey mouse platy, a sunburst platy and a plumetail platy. The tank is now two months old and has been cycled since early this month. I'm thinking of finishing my stocking by getting a small school of either neon tetras or harlequin rasboras. Couple of questions:

- I assume either would be compatible with the platies. Are they?
- How many in either school would be safe, considering the size of the tank and the existing residents?
- How many could I add at once?
- I just introduced the plumetail last weekend. I know I need to be patient before adding more fish. How long should I wait?

Also, I'd eventually like to get an Oto. Would this be too much?

According to some profiles I looked at you would need 6 or 7 harlequin rasboras to create a stable school of them. Unfortunately, I believe that would be too much for your tank. You could try 3 maybe 4 neon tetras or glowlight tetras. You would be able to add all the tetras at once.

Best way to tell how long to wait is to monitor your tank for any ammonia or nitrite spikes. Once those pass then you can add more fish.

You might be able to add the oto but that would be pushing the limits of the tank. If the platies are not fully grown yet then you would be fine, you simply would need to be prepared to upgrade to a larger tank or find a home for some of the fish once they are all full grown.

Getting fish to school in a small tank is tuff. They really need room to swim and the more of them, the better chances they will school. The platies are going to grow 2-3" adn they are a mid-upper dwelling fish. My suggestion is to put a bottom feeder or two to complete this tank. Remember, fish keeping is a life long hobby and when you are ready to upgrade your tank, there are so many more options!

Thanks, both of you. Any other advice would still be greatly appreciated as it's going to be a little while before the tanks ready for more fish.

Back
Top Bottom