Super calm male Crowntail Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygroove

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Everyone!
So I just started with a new tank a bit over a week ago. Its 10g and I started with just the male crowntail betta and filter. I conditioned the water and everything and added the betta which they said was fine but after much research realize it probably would have been a little better to wait a few days but too late now.

Anyways, he seems to not swim around too much and at first, spent most of his time on the surface just sitting in the corner, then after a few days, migrated to the bottom corner. Since then I have gotten a few more live plants, some of those plant bulbs, some rocks to hide under, and some drift wood. But I have also added 4 tetra(3 neon 1 rummynose), 3 cory(a green, peppered, and juli), as well as a tiny albino bristlenose, 3 ghost shrimp and a mystery snail.
The betta now seems happier, doesnt have any problem with any of them, even sleeps snuggled with the cory on occasion, but mostly under this plant leaf in the middle of the tank.

Occasionally the other fish bump into the betta and he doesnt even react really which i found kind of weird. I also have not yet seen the betta eat. I have aqueon betta food for the betta. All the other fish have eaten. So I have added their food to the tank, which has encluded API shrimp pellets, which the cory seem to enjoy. hikari algae wafers, micro pellets, and blood worms. Theres defintely a chance he just has been snacking on other stuff and maybe grabs a pellet here or there. But just wondering if people thought i should be worried at all that he doesnt seem to take food and spend most of his time sleeping under a leaf on the floor.
Also the tank doesnt feel overstocked by any means, but wondering if people thought it might be in the future because of any growth. I guess the only thing im really worried about is the albino bristlenose. but the people at the store said they thought it would be fine.

My filter is a top fin multistage internal filter. It says it pumps up to 97gph.
The other fish all seem really fine and happy. the cory seem to be happiest.

All water parameters are fine too. And the water seems to be steady at about 77. I just had it tested at petsmart as well as having sensors myself.
Would love to hear some other peoples opinions.
Thanks!
Jay
gijjtizyn

Last edited:
Well...beginners mistake. After just 1 week your tank is not fine and not cycled. Get an api test kit...you are going to have to do a lot of water changes when your ammonia spikes it your fish are going to suffer. Read up on the nitrogen cycle...
Bettas need at least 78 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Get the Pleco OUT !!!
As I said on other thread, this is not a good stocking plan.

The filter outflow may be too strong for the Betta.

A single Rummynose ? Poor thing.

Get your own test kit.

Lots of water changes.

Neons prefer 76°f
Bettas are usually best at 78-80°f

Plecos need 30g or larger. And a BN will need feeding in a new tank. They also prefer a strong current and high oxygen, the opposite of a Betta.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+837+1039&pcatid=1039

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=49

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom