Swim Bladder Disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoyoteWildfire

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey folks, just got myself four black skirt tetras and they all seem to be getting along reasonably well, barring one who seems to get picked on a lot.

My white skirt chased after him once and he started getting tilty and wobbly for a few moments. I checked his fins and they seemed fine except for a large notch out of his anal fin (which he had since we got him).

Anyway, he started slowly tilting sideways until he was almost parallel with the gravel. He was able to correct himself and swim just fine, but I was wondering if that might be preliminary swim bladder disease?

Also, if it does have SBD, can it spread to any of my other fish?

Well I know sbd can be cause by a deficincy(spell check?) In a certain vitaman its in one of my books but I can't seem to locate it. I would check google and see what that vitaman is and see if your flake has a sufficiant amount of that. Hope this was sorta some help

What are you feeding them? Does this happen after you feed them?

Try feeding them some boiled peas and see if that helps. Boil some frozen peas in the microwave for about 2 minutes..take the skin off..smash them with your fingers and dip your fingers into the water and the peas will just fall off your fingers. Most fish go crazy for boiled peas. ALL my fish love them.

I've been feeding them TetraMin and live brine shrimp, switching between the two each day. I've heard a lot of good about peas, and though no they didn't display that after I fed them, I think I will add boiled peas to their diet too.

Near as I could tell, the fish were dizzy from attacking each other. I actually had to return them as there were serious aggression problems between them and it was ruining my tank... So I figure it was dizziness from constantly chasing each other around, or they were actually hurting each other as SBD can develop from assault.

I read that SBD can be caused by injury/infection. As well as constipation, or even parasites I think. I might be wrong on that one but treating my betta for an injury since the peas weren't cutting it got him all better... hmmm

my goldie had sbd and i didnt feed him for 1 day and on the second day he ate two peas pealed of course and happy to say after a big fish poop he is doing great showing no signs since

Thank you both! If I ever have any fish issues, I know to turn to peas as a home remedy. I heard a little aquarium salt is good for a lot of diseases too?

Fed my fish peas today for the first time. I was shocked at just how much they loved it! Different kinds of Tetras, Glass Catfish, a Danio, Peacock Gudgeons, and a Gourami all ate it quite readily.

Do you have any online information regarding peas as fish food and the benefits from it?

xD I love how you say "give me a minute" when posting on a forum, haha. Classic.

Thanks for the help ryan!

Back
Top Bottom