Swim bladder disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KFav93

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, this morning I found my platy barely swimming and he would only swim when he had to. He would just float around and tumble on the gravel, it's sad to watch. Anyway, I did some research and came to the conclusion it's swim bladder? I'm pretty sure that's why my last platy died because he was acting the same way. I isolated the platy in a big glass jar, since I don't have another tank. I put the aquarium water in with him and some aquarium salt and a frozen pea. He's not interested in the pea. I've accepted the fact that he's probably going to die. I just want to know why my fish are getting this? What can I do to stop it?

Update: my platy is now in a goldfish bowl and he is still hanging in there! I guess the aquarium salt is helping.

It's because you are doing a fish in cycle it can very inhumane of not done properly, most things that happen to fish are because of water quality.

It's because you are doing a fish in cycle it can very inhumane of not done properly, most things that happen to fish are because of water quality.
I thought they could've had it from the pet store. I'm trying my best. But I finally have the cycle going. My annomia decreased and my nitrites are up. So there's some progress. I really wish I could start over and redo this with everything I know now. But besides bad quality water, could my food be causing it too? I feed them color pellets.

Stress and bullying by other fish or water quality is not optimal eg. nitrate or ammonia levels may be high - these can cause the capillaries to the air sacs to dilate. 'Thermal shock' can cause Swim Bladder problems, but the most common causes are overfeeding and/or poor diet lacking in fiber. This can lead to bad constipation and the swelling of the abdomen prevents the Swim Bladder from functioning properly.

do you have a friend who has a established tank may be they could take care of what fish you have till your tank cycles

do you have a friend who has a established tank may be they could take care of what fish you have till your tank cycles
I don't unfortunately :/ my cycle is doing well though. It's making progress. I bought stability and it kickstarted the cycle. I'm doing daily water changes.

Here's a post on goldfish because they get it more than other fish

Feed your fish only peas or beans for 3 days. They need to be highly steamed, de-skinned and mushed or finely chopped OR
Stop feeding your fish for 3 days. This allows the gas to pass trough. Gradually start to feed them again. Only feed them veggies and fruit in small chopped-up quantities. In about a week your fish will be feeling great.

It's very simple. Keep a high quality water, don't overstock and overfeed your fish . Your fish need fiber, proteins, vitamins and minerals to stay healthy, happy, disease free and have bright colors. Feeding them fresh veggies and fruit and live food as occasional treats is the best way.

You really need a hospital tank not a bowl.

Here's a post on goldfish because they get it more than other fish

Feed your fish only peas or beans for 3 days. They need to be highly steamed, de-skinned and mushed or finely chopped OR
Stop feeding your fish for 3 days. This allows the gas to pass trough. Gradually start to feed them again. Only feed them veggies and fruit in small chopped-up quantities. In about a week your fish will be feeling great.

It's very simple. Keep a high quality water, don't overstock and overfeed your fish . Your fish need fiber, proteins, vitamins and minerals to stay healthy, happy, disease free and have bright colors. Feeding them fresh veggies and fruit and live food as occasional treats is the best way.

You really need a hospital tank not a bowl.
I don't have money for a hospital tank at the moment. But that's on my list. My fish that had swim bladder passed. So I'll fast them. Do you recommend still feeding the rest with peas? I tried feeding my sick platy peas but he wouldn't touch them

The issue is the water quality in my personal opinion , as before when my tank when I was 143% stocked I always had an issue, I had 33 fish in a 55 gallon and not all small fish either, an experienced fish keeper can get away with this as they know exactly what they have to do, but I was new and had not a clue, I have 3 10 gallons in my basement I need to get a couple set up, one for quarantine one for hospital, i would recommend trying a steamed skinned pea of it don't eat don't force it, also when you get the funds to get a hospital tank you will want to get an air driven sponge filter and put it in side the tank that's cycling now to build up BB, so you can stick it in the hospital tank if need be.

Back
Top Bottom