TB or really old danio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
This morning, my male danio looks very odd. He has a dent in his spine just behind his head that makes him look almost like a tiny Chinook salmon. He's bloated and has a whitish color to his sides. And he's hanging at the top breathing hard. I really hope this isn't TB, and I'm positive he didn't look this bad yesterday. I've had my zebra danios for about a year and a half, so could it just be old age changes? Can anyone tell me their lifespan/old age changes? Does TB come on this quick? And if so, is euthanasia the only solution? I'm going to pick up some clove oil at the store just in case, but this may be the first time I've had to euthanize one of my fish!

Well, I got danio lifespan as anywhere from 2 to 10 years. It's a moot point since I decided to euthanize for the safety of the tank. I'm torn between whether he had dropsy or TB. He was bloated and had that pinecone appearance. My roommate is borrowing her parents' digital camera this weekend, so maybe I can post pics later. What do I do about the rest of the tank? A couple articles recommend preventive treatment with Maracyn II or kanamycin for TB. But dropsy is not supposed to be too contagious. Is it worth having a necropsy done to rule out TB? (I could probably talk my mom into letting me do it thru her clinic if I pay for it.)

Jen...I would treat before I had a necropsy done.

Drops is a sign of internal bacteria bothering a fish.

I'd say treat the tank with Maracyn II or Maracyn for the recommended dossage if you can afford it.

FISH TB can be transmitted to humans...so becareful. I would treat the tank because of this too...

All up to you.

Back
Top Bottom