Tetra Going Blind??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyWater2525

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!

A few weeks ago I purchased 3 black skirt tetras. The other day when I went to check on them, i noticed one had some sort of white substance on his eye. I didn't know what to do , do I just let it slide.:nono:
Everyday since then, the white stuff has spread further on both of his eyes. I think they might be scaling over because he doesn't really swim around a lot anymore (stays in one place), has a little difficulty finding food (I always make sure he gets some though!), and when I hold my hand up to the tank, everyone swims away except for him. It's like he can't see my hand....:(
Does anyone else think he may be going blind? If so, what can I do to make sure he still lives a long happy life?
Thank you for reading!!!

Possibly cloudy eye - hopefully not worse. Have you checked nitrates, fish food date, other fish pecking, etc?

It sounds like into a bacterial infection now which needs treatment in QT.

Hi, QT refers to quarantine tank. Mine is a small 5gal tank that is cycled and I use for fry and plant growing in between stocking sick fish or new fish. It took ages to get permission for another tank so I'm not taking it down :)

Treatment varies from simply increasing water changes (eg ph was really low or nitrates really high) to a bacterial infection where antibiotics are needed. One bad eye could be an injury, both suggests an infection.

Did you have a problem or just general?

Back
Top Bottom