three rounds of ich cure and ich not gone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Damiri

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a new 120 gal aquarium which had water quality issues at the beginning. The ph was in the 7.6-8 range and ammonia was at .25. In hindsight we shouldn't have introduced fish until this has been resolved (which it is now). About 10 days ago i noticed that some of the tetras and mollies developed white spots which most likely was ich. We moved all fish with any white spot - about 15 - to a small 20 gal tank and followed the treatment: raised temp to 82 and applied two doses of the ich cure. The fish all look healthy except one tetra that actually has more white spots now than in the beginning. We gave it a third dose of the medication but after almost 48 hours the spots are still on.
I am not sure what to do now. Should we keep the fish in the small tank for few more days? Move the clean fish back to the big tank and just leave the spotted one? Could the white spots be something else than ich? They are not fuzzy looking. More like tiny bubbles on the fish.

Attachments

• 20170319_213124.jpg
    20170319_213124.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 51
  • 20170319_213138.jpg
    20170319_213138.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 52
IMO, keep it in quarantine until you're sure it's cleared up. Also, I would do a large water change in your display tank (at least 50%) before you re-introduce your cured fish. Chances are, you have some ick lurking somewhere in your tank.

Put the temperature up to 86 degrees. For about two weeks. Longer if necessary. Ick cannot survive and continue reproducing at higher temperatures. Even if it's not on the fish it's in the water so don't lower temp as soon as you don't see it on the fish

Ok, thanks for replies. I didnt lower the temperature yet. I can raise it up more but i wonder if i should put more medicine in the water as well? I dont want to stress the fish although so far they are taking it well and acting normal. I am gonna change most of the water in the big tank and stabilize it again and hopefully there will be no more ick left in there. I still have two catfish and a gourami and a molly in there. They are all healthy so I am hoping that means that the water is clean.

My personal opinion is no more meds just raise the temperature. It has always worked well for me. No meds necessary in most cases. To many meds can't be good for anything. Lots of water changes(vacuuming substrate) warmer water and prime water conditioner faithfully until cycled.

Yes, i prefer not to use meds if i dont have to. Ok, so i will raise the temperature in my 'hospital' and change water and clean up the main tank. Do you think it is safe to move the fish which look cured back to the main tank in a few days (they have been in the hospital for about a week now) and just leave the one that has spots or should i keep all of them still in the quarantine?

Yes, i prefer not to use meds if i dont have to. Ok, so i will raise the temperature in my 'hospital' and change water and clean up the main tank. Do you think it is safe to move the fish which look cured back to the main tank in a few days (they have been in the hospital for about a week now) and just leave the one that has spots or should i keep all of them still in the quarantine?

That's entirely up to you. Usually I don't quarantine fish with ick. I just leave the fish in their main tank and raise temperature. If I do medicate I medicate at half dose in main tank because I have some scaleless fish and ick can be in the water and substrate. That's why vacuuming is necessary. Others may have different suggestions or ideas. I'm not saying my way is best but it works for me.

Back
Top Bottom