Too stressed. ��

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tetrababe13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I thought fish keeping would be very calming. But I've had my tank for about a month now with fish. And my firs one just died. It's just stressed me out. Any advice for ways to deal with my little girls death? I love fish and it was supposed to be therapeutic but it's making me worse. Help.

Fish will die, sometimes it is out if your hands. Sharpen your skills and sit back and watch your happy fish thrive and grow:)

Sorry for your loss

Well, it's hard to accept sometimes, especially when you miss them, but death is very much a part of the cycle of the world. All living things must die some time, including fish. If you are giving your fish a happy healthy environment and taking care of them responsibly, when they die, you should remember that they had a happy enjoyable life and lived well and that you did your best to provide for them. It's ok to feel sad and grieve when things die, so take some time to do so and then once you've gone through the grief and sadness start to remember the good memories and enjoy life. Maybe get another fish and give it a good home in honor of the one that passed. Fish keeping can be very therapeutic, keep learning and doing the best you can, and enjoy the rewards. I love to sit and watch my fish dance about in the tank:love:, and I'm always sad when one dies, of old age or disease it does not matter, I just remember I did my best to keep them healthy and happy and death is just a hard part of life.

Thanks! I just got to new ones tonight and came home to another dead from my original batch. Rip jimmy falfin. This new guy is making very happy. Here's a picImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390281238.281235.jpgi like how he looks like he's smiling.

I thought fish keeping would be very calming. But I've had my tank for about a month now with fish. And my firs one just died. It's just stressed me out. Any advice for ways to deal with my little girls death? I love fish and it was supposed to be therapeutic but it's making me worse. Help.

I always bear in mind that these are animals, not human beings. While I love my dog and spoil her like a child, she is not one.

Thanks! I just got to new ones tonight and came home to another dead from my original batch. Rip jimmy falfin. This new guy is making very happy. Here's a picView attachment 217915i like how he looks like he's smiling.

If you keep having deaths, something is not right. Did you cycle your tank? If not, you're in for some work to keep your fish alive...

Once your tank is right everything will settle down, there's very excellent articles on here to help, they got me back on track with all todays stuff after being out of the hobby for 10 years. And yes, out of all my fish from tetras to Rams to other cichlids, etc, my little albino bristle nose (Clyde from the packman ghosts) has a lot of personality lol.

If you keep having deaths, something is not right. Did you cycle your tank? If not, you're in for some work to keep your fish alive...

This is what I'm thinking too. It's certainly not mature if you've only had fish in it for a month. What is the condition of the stock you are getting? I don't think that pleco in the pic will last long from the look of it's sunken belly.

We'll are my fish are dead except the Pleco. He's doing very well. That pic was taken the day I got him. He ate all my algae and looks fine now. I was Initially worried but he's recovered. He was actually sitting funny today. It poked like he lost his tail but he didn't. I nearly had a panic attack. I cycled my tank for 1 week like the pet smart guy told me to. Then I got this app and it told me like 3-4 weeks. By then it was to late. I now know(after major testing) there was a high amount of ammonia in my tank. The pet store gave me a bunch of chemicals and recommended my Pleco. I'm just so stressed. I think I'll take a break and just keep him for now. I'll get new fish in a couple months. Let the tank stabilize. Thanks for everyone's help! I'm thinking of giving him to my friend. She has a 70 gallon fully stabilized tank. It's like 5 years old. She'll take him and I won't have to worry. Like I've said before, I was recommend fish keeping because of stress. It's made my stress worse. It's now full blown anxiety attacks. It's to a point were I don't want to look at my tank for fear of dead fish. I want to get rid if the tank but my parents are made that I'm giving up. I don't think I'm suited for this lifestyle. What do you think! Thanks for everyone's helpful advice and tips!

Don't give up! You just got bad advice! Start over, clean slate. Read up on how to it right and then it won't be stressful, fish keeping is actually really relaxing. Even now it's not too late. Go do a big water change on your aquarium (replace 50-60% of the water in your aquarium with dechlorinated tap water) so your pleco won't be in bad water and then come back and read this article. It should have all the information you need. You can do it! You know you love that fish! I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Really starting an aquarium with that kind of advice is like someone telling you "just pedal" if you've never ridden a bike. Of course your gonna have a crash, but it's not your fault :)

Back
Top Bottom