Total CHAOS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ploughking

Aquarium Advice Activist
Eek! I started off with a tiny 20 litre tank (I'm not sure what that is in gallons) and the fish were fine in there. Then their water turned yellow and they all outgrew their tank. A few days before I got the new 10 gal tank my two silver sharks died. Which was quite bad. I mean how often do you get an albino slver shark? Then I moved to a new tank. The ammonia levels sky rocketed. Incase you were wondering, my Mum put all the fish in straight away. So unfortuantly a week later 6 neon tetras dissapear. Found dead with body parts missing. Then 2 flame tetras died and after that my silver molly died. My four guppies died. I would definatly call that ultra overstocking now.
Soon, my ammonia levels settled. All over, right? Wrong. I had nitrite. Evil stuff it was. But now that's all gone, I got a live plant in there to consume nitrate and now I'm fine. I added 4 zebra danios a while ago and now I'm fine. Hopefully I wont endure total madness again. 8O 8O 8O

Both of your tanks are overstocked, especially your goldfish tank. Do not buy more fish. You need bigger tanks or fewer fish.

Can you describe the "snakey things" a bit better. Do they hang out at the middle, or bottom of the tank? Are they thick-bodied, or rope-like? etc.,

I'd suggest getting a test kit or finding some other way to check your water for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite regularly. Your levels are probably still way too high and the only solution until you can lower your bio-load is to do water changes more often

well i don't know in liters either, but if it is tiny compared to your 10 gallon then yes it is EXTREMELY overstocked. just for your silver sharks alone!!

silver sharks should be kept in a 75 gallon aquarium minimum, and you had 2 plus many other fish is something much smaller than a 10. they grow to be 18 inches, and fast!

you seem to understand about testing and everything but do you know about the nitrogen cycle? you seem confused on why you had spikes in ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. do some reading in the articles section if you aren't familear with it.

good luck!

-brent

edit: i just saw in your sig that you said "others died in new tank cycle" so i would guess that you do know. heh. was just an accident then. but you were definetly way too overstocked.

Back
Top Bottom