Two Sick Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I have two sick Bettas that I'm trying to diagnose and treat. One got sick and then a few weeks later the other one got sick

The first to get sick started floating at the top of the tank. He stopped eating and doesn't move unless I physically touch him. Now, he's floating vertically with his head up. He's in a 5 gallon tank with a HOB filter and a sponge filter. Water parameters are all okay as well. I do weekly water changes. Temp is 78 degrees.

My other Betta has been healthy and active, but over the past week, he's been laying on the bottom of his tank, not moving, and not eating. He's in a 10 gallon bare bottom tank with a few decorations and a hiding place, which he doesn't use. HOB and sponge filter. Water parameters are okay. Weekly water changes as well and temp is 78 defrees.

I have never used any medications. I have tried aquarium salt and more frequent water changes, but that's not helping.

My question is should I move them to temporary 1 gallon bowls so I can keep a better eye on them and they wont have to struggle to get to the top (at least for the one that stays at the bottom)? Also, what could I try as far as medication or other remedies to treat them?

What are you feeding them?

Try some cooked peas, the inside not the oter circle "shell" of the actual pea (not pod).

Using Epsom Salts would possibly help some.

You can reduce the water volume on both tanks, but I wouldn't recommend move them from a cycled tank to a 1G bowl.

Using Magnesium sulfate aka Epsom Salts does seem to help them some.

You can buy some at the local pharmacy or grocery store. Use only the plain one, no herbs, peppermint, etc.

You can use hot water to dissolve the ES, in a concentrated form and add cold water to make tank temp, and treat it with water dechlorinator when it is tank temp.

You can use 1 tablespoon per gallon. After doing pwc, leave out the amount of water which you will be putting back in with your ES concentrate.

Add the ES water in to the tank about 1/4 every 8 hours. This is to give the fish some time to adjust to water parameters.

But if it seems the fish is really sick/on death's door step, you can add it more quickly about every half hour to 45 min. a 1/4 at a time.

If it seems that it makes some difference and the fish looks somewhat better, you can stay at that concentrate or even increase it to a TOTAL amount of 2 Tablespoons per gallon.

Getting them to try and eat is helpful, even adding fresh squeezed garlic clove juice over the peas.

Did you ever notice the fishes poop? Does it seem that there was any white stringy poop?

Back
Top Bottom