Two sick fancy guppies - please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a telescope moor who got beat up by a beta and lost his eye. I put him in a separate tank and added a little aquarium salt. He was doing well. I bought some fish first aid at Walmart..... Found him dead this morning. Don't know what was in that crap, but I'm upset.
Sorry, I never saw this post!

It's hard to know what to treat with. Two of my fish died after adding Pimafix, but I don't think they died FROM the Pimafix.

Sorry to hear about your moor. :(

It is all confusing!!! I still get really confused!! As to the filter media, I don't think rinsing under the tap is what happened;) I do rinse mine in a bucket of water I have removed from my tank. I also will change mine out, BUT I will put my new cartridge in behind my old one for about a week and then toss it on my next water change. As for illnesses, it is confusing as crap. Sounds like you are dealing with a fungus. I do things pretty to point. If I have a fungus I rock the fungus tabs. If I have a parasite, then I treat for that with medicated food(I use wormer on all my new guys). I do keep a low amount of salt in all my tanks, and ALL my tanks have snails and/or cories. As for treating with large amounts of salt I would remove my snails but have never had to do this. You just need to find a balance to how things work for you. I keep meds on hand so I can start dosing too...

Thanks for your support. I really appreciate it. :fish2:

I definitely don't mind putting meds in there, but I have such a hard time figuring out what it was these two had.

I think I want to get a different filter. The HOB that came with this tank doesn't seem to move the water much or put down those little oxygen bubbles like my last one did.

Snail's out and about tonight. All seems well with him.

I'm glad your snail is ok.

Unfortunately the hardest part of having fish is you truly never know what you're getting unless you breed yourself or find a reputable breeder.
And even then, sometimes the fish are just.... Not strong and healthy.

I wish you luck for the future. :)

It is a fungus infection or white spot rash but you should search it up here is a good website for guppies guppies - Your DIRECT INFORMATION SOURCE about show quality guppies, guppy food, guppy supplies

Thank you. I've been poking around that site. (y)

I'm glad your snail is ok.

Unfortunately the hardest part of having fish is you truly never know what you're getting unless you breed yourself or find a reputable breeder.
And even then, sometimes the fish are just.... Not strong and healthy.

I wish you luck for the future. :)

Thank you. The other two are still doing ok, in fact, they look a little better.

Got two more from PetSmart yesterday, one is already dead this morning. :banghead:

I switched to Seachem Prime for my water treatment drops.

I am wondering if taking my water in to PetSmart would help.

I can't do this anymore. :nono:

So I am guessing you are still cycling? Do you have something to test your water with at home?? Where are you located, I will send ya some home bred guppies ;)

So I am guessing you are still cycling? Do you have something to test your water with at home?? Where are you located, I will send ya some home bred guppies ;)
I think my tank IS cycled. I test with the API Master Kit. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates 5ppm.

Is there any chance these fish are just sick to begin with? PetSmart selling sub-standard fish?

I wouldn't mind buying some good stock, but with what's left in my tank, I don't know if I should add anything.

I'm located in Iowa.

Thank you for all your support hcourts.

All the fish I've gotten from PetSmart died.

Do you have another place to get them from?

To make you feel better... Every fish I've gotten from petsmart has either died or had ich. I know not all petsmarts are the same but the problem with my local petsmart is that all of the tanks share the same water (they all flow into one another)... So if one fish is sick pretty much every tank becomes exposed. I've even had petsmart employees advise me not to buy their fish!

To make you feel better... Every fish I've gotten from petsmart has either died or had ich. I know not all petsmarts are the same but the problem with my local petsmart is that all of the tanks share the same water (they all flow into one another)... So if one fish is sick pretty much every tank becomes exposed. I've even had petsmart employees advise me not to buy their fish!

Wow, that's depressing. I guess I'll steer clear of our PetSmart considering the many fish deaths I've had.

Anyone think it would be OK to put a guppy from an LFS in with my PetSmart family?

Knock on wood, my mystery snail is doing ok. If I lose him, I just might cry.

Are you still treating them with the pimafix? I would do the whole dose and then watch them for a week and make sure they don't show similar symptoms. And petsmart is 50/50 for me too:(

Are you still treating them with the pimafix? I would do the whole dose and then watch them for a week and make sure they don't show similar symptoms. And petsmart is 50/50 for me too:(

Nope. I put the filter back in and stopped with the Pimafix. I didn't want to dump in stuff not knowing what it was they had.

For now, I'm watching and waiting...and not buying anymore fish from PetSmart. :rolleyes:

Lol!! Sounds good;) I love my local fish store!! Those guys rock and I know they take care of all their stock:)

Lol!! Sounds good;) I love my local fish store!! Those guys rock and I know they take care of all their stock:)

We have two nice LFS here, so this weekend, I'll pay one a visit. :) In the meantime, I'm getting interested in snails...

Yep. I think the babies that I have are gonna be purple and I have one or two red striped ones that are big enough to ship:)

Back
Top Bottom