Two sick fancy guppies - please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I'm up to six dead fancy guppies now. Oddly, they all die in pairs that were bough together. I tested my water parameters today:

Ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrates: 10, pH: 8.

No more fancy guppies for me.

Don't give up!!! Might have just been bad stock!! Do you want me to ship ya some? I have some fry that would be ready

Don't give up!!! Might have just been bad stock!! Do you want me to ship ya some? I have some fry that would be ready

Nah, I'm kinda done with guppies. I've got two left and based on my track record, they should kick the bucket in about a week or so.

I'm going to try a totally different fish from a different place. But thank you very much for the offer. I really do appreciate it.

+1 on the betta!! I have two and I love them!!! You could also do a gourami!! They have big personalities as well!!!

I just got a 26 gallon tank today. :) I want to set this one up right, so I'm going to start another thread. I'm excited, but also tired of killing fish.

I really don't want a betta, unless they can be kept with other fish. I also heard they can nip the antennas of snails and since my snail is the best thing going in my tank right now, I don't want to mess with that. I LOVE MY SNAIL!!!

I love my bettas and I have two in with other fish and snails. It all depends on the betta though. What about gouramis? They are awsome!!

I love my bettas and I have two in with other fish and snails. It all depends on the betta though. What about gouramis? They are awsome!!

I do like gouramis, but I've read that they're prone to a certain disease. Or that many of them come in sick.

I can't wait to stock my tank. :) I actually down-graded today and went with a 20G instead of 26G, but I got a stand, too, so I'm all ready to get started when my substrate gets here.

Sounds awsome!! It just depends on where you get them from. I get mine from my lfs. I have two dwarf honey gouramis and haven't had any issues with them;) what about a ram once you get your tank set up?? Mine is one of my favorites!! How are you going to cycle your tank?

Sounds awsome!! It just depends on where you get them from. I get mine from my lfs. I have two dwarf honey gouramis and haven't had any issues with them;) what about a ram once you get your tank set up?? Mine is one of my favorites!! How are you going to cycle your tank?

There's a LFS across the river from me and I'm going to check them out on Saturday. I do like gouramis, but I'm scared to get them because of this:

"Dwarf gouramis from Singapore may carry dwarf gourami iridovirus. Recent research has shown that 22% of Singapore Trichogaster lalius carry this virus."

However, if they're bred locally, then no worries.

I am going to cycle the tank with some filter squeezings from the other tank, moving some plants over and attempt to do a fish-in cycle.

That's how I did my cycles. I used a whole extra nasty filter pad from my 20 to cycle my 55 and I never had anything but excellent readings and was able to put fish in slowly right away. So far so good for my gouramis. I hear there is no treatment for that virus from Singapore. I love my angels too!! You could prob do one of those in your 20g!! They are awsome too!!

That's how I did my cycles. I used a whole extra nasty filter pad from my 20 to cycle my 55 and I never had anything but excellent readings and was able to put fish in slowly right away. So far so good for my gouramis. I hear there is no treatment for that virus from Singapore. I love my angels too!! You could prob do one of those in your 20g!! They are awsome too!!

I've got a short list of fish I'm interested in and I really would like to do gouramis. I think they are so beautiful.

I'm starting my tank build thread here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/my-20g-planted-tank-227109.html

I only have one nasty filter pad, so I'll have to do some squeezings. Hope to get plants, water, wood and substrate in this week.

If I would have known I would have sent ya one!! I also keep a few in my filters for my quarantine tank!!

If I would have known I would have sent ya one!! I also keep a few in my filters for my quarantine tank!!
How do you know if they have that disease that they get?

I am so squeamish about having live things shipped. I'm ok with snails since they have a shell and all, but I can't imagine a fish being shipped!

I don't have my new tank up and running anyway. I'd have no place for him.

Lol!! I could have sent ya a whole filter pad to jump start your cycle;) I don't think there is any way to really tell. I've had my guys for going on four months and they seem really healthy. But they were raised local

Lol!! I could have sent ya a whole filter pad to jump start your cycle;) I don't think there is any way to really tell. I've had my guys for going on four months and they seem really healthy. But they were raised local
You are one sweet lady. :)

I can't wait to receive the snail mail. I am getting six ramshorns, too. My boyfriend seemed concerned about the influx of snails. LOL

I need to go hunt down your pics!

Lol!! Just get you a few assassin snails and they will take care if an snail expansions;) mine take out mostly all(save one or two) the babies:) and pest snails:)

Back
Top Bottom