unhealthy fish advice needed:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an african Lamp congonesis(sp?) I noticed a few days ago he couldn't use one of his fins to do what appeared to be an injury. a day or 2 after that I noticed my Jack Demsey has the same injusry only less severe as he is still using that fin. and..Just now I noticed my syndoctis catfish(pardon the not good spelling) has a cloudy eye. everyone is eating well, water parameters are perfect..

suggestions?

Thanks, Erin:banghead:

Fish fighting? Fresh water salt water? List of fish in tank would help. Also how long since water change ect.

Fish fighting? Fresh water salt water? List of fish in tank would help. Also how long since water change ect.

Stocking list:
1 african lamp congeonsis,3 Altolamprologus Calvus,2 jewel,1 texas cichlid, 1 yellow lab, 3 kennyi,2 brichardi cichlids, 1 Aurutus, 1 synodontis catfish, 1 Jack Demsey,1elongatus

Last water change was 3 days ago. did a 50 percent water change when I noticed the injuries on my african lamp and jack dempsey. there are occasional fights in the tank so it could be... but its odd im dealing with 2 injured fish and a cloudy eye catfish. I know cloudy eye is a symptom of ich, could he have ich without the white spots?

I am fairly new to fish. Never heard of ich with out spots. Maybe some one else has a idea. I am lost on that one.

Can you give us your exact water parameters (amm, nitrite, nitrate, ph)? A single cloudy eye is not ich but most likely just an injury. What exactly are the symptoms your other fish have? You just mentioned 'similar injuries'. Pics or a more exact description would help! :)

Can you give us your exact water parameters (amm, nitrite, nitrate, ph)? A single cloudy eye is not ich but most likely just an injury. What exactly are the symptoms your other fish have? You just mentioned 'similar injuries'. Pics or a more exact description would help! :)

Ammo 0
ph 8.4 stable
nitrite 0
nitrate 5

my jack dempsey and african lamp congoenisis have injuries on the fins that look pretty gross, I will try to get pics today, I tried yesterday, but couldnt get any good ones.

Also, I woke up this morning and my catfish has apparently 2 injuries on its body in additon to his cloudy 1 eye. Clearly there is some fighting or something going on in there when im not looking. I discoverd i have a holding Aurortus(sorry bad spelling) which im pretty sure is from help of my yellow lab. IM lost!

You may want to use a blue or red light to see whats going on after lights out.

How big is this tank ? 55g ??

Mixing Africans and South Americans is a bad idea IMHO. Your tank sounds seriously overstocked and a bad mix. IME

Sounds like your fish need more room and better hiding spots. And different tank mates.

Can you QT your Catfish at least ?

You may want to use a blue or red light to see whats going on after lights out.

How big is this tank ? 55g ??

Mixing Africans and South Americans is a bad idea IMHO. Your tank sounds seriously overstocked and a bad mix. IME

Sounds like your fish need more room and better hiding spots. And different tank mates.

Can you QT your Catfish at least ?

Unfortuantly, Im know mixing african and s africans is not a good idea, trust me! Ive tried to convince my fiance of that, but till then I do my best to cater to the eating habits of these different fish. The tank is a 55 gallon with TONS of hiding spots. I have a 20 gallon high also that has a few tetra and guppies and a baby bristlenose pleco, but the tank is divided with kenyi fry on the othe side. Can a catfish hang out with fry?

Unfortuantly, Im know mixing african and s africans is not a good idea, trust me! Ive tried to convince my fiance of that, but till then I do my best to cater to the eating habits of these different fish. The tank is a 55 gallon with TONS of hiding spots. I have a 20 gallon high also that has a few tetra and guppies and a baby bristlenose pleco, but the tank is divided with kenyi fry on the othe side. Can a catfish hang out with fry?

No, if they fit in his mouth, he'll eat them.

I'm glad to hear you are doing your best.

it is a high ph, luckily african cichlids need a high ph. If this is not a fighting mark what is it???

im not an expert with thease guys but i know oscars and larger plecos do better when theres nothing sharp in the tank cause they are a bit clumsy, that looks like hes run into sumthing to me but that wouldnt explain the others...

Im not sure. Ive had him for 6 or 7 months and I have never seen anything like that on him before. He is still active and eating well, but seems to prefer a portion of the tank he doesnt normally hang out in. Hmmm...

Back
Top Bottom