Upside down Ryukin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somethingclever

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i have a little Calico Ryukin, and i have had him for about a month. He's a cute little guy, and struggles to keep up with my larger gold fish. It's actually quite funny. Anyway over the past week and a half or so i notice that every now and then he will go upside down (with his face towards the bottom of the tank) and at first i thought he was doing it on purpose and thought it was just part of his personality. After the first couple days though i noticed he couldn't stop doing it and now he doesn't try to really stop. One of his sides is kinda bulging out a little bit more than the other and i heard it could be bladder disease or something. Anyone know what it could be or how i could treat it? I really like the little guy. :confused:

Sounds like it could be SBD. There's no cure, but frozen peas (defrosted/shelled) will help clear it up. I feed my goldies peas once a week to avoid this issue, plus they go ape trying to gobble up as many as they can lol.

Sounds like it could be SBD. There's no cure, but frozen peas (defrosted/shelled) will help clear it up. I feed my goldies peas once a week to avoid this issue, plus they go ape trying to gobble up as many as they can lol.

I tried to give the little guy peas but he has absolutely no interest. My other goldfish didn't even think twice. I had read about the peas, then i also read from some "doctor" that you can poke the swim bladder with a needle and it will be a partial remedy. How cruel does that sound. :facepalm:

Oh...maybe it'll come back...mines. kind of had a problem with it for a while but recently has had no problems. I need to switch to sinking pellets so it doesn't happen again

I tried to give the little guy peas but he has absolutely no interest. My other goldfish didn't even think twice. I had read about the peas, then i also read from some "doctor" that you can poke the swim bladder with a needle and it will be a partial remedy. How cruel does that sound. :facepalm:

I'd be really leery of using a needle myself. Stop feeding for 3 days and try the peas, he'll most likely gobble them up and don't worry, none of them will starve. If you can QT him to do the 3 day fast, that'd be better IMO, if not then don't fret about it since fish can go for a week or more without food.

I'd be really leery of using a needle myself. Stop feeding for 3 days and try the peas, he'll most likely gobble them up and don't worry, none of them will starve. If you can QT him to do the 3 day fast, that'd be better IMO, if not then don't fret about it since fish can go for a week or more without food.

Awesome! Thanks a lot for the advice!
Oh and by the way love the name. Good movie. (y)

Back
Top Bottom