Very Sick Bichir, Full Body Bloat and Redness in-between Scales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gravitee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My poor bochir has been through hell these two months. I left a caretaker in charge of feeding my fish, and she fed as much as I feed in a week twice daily. It killed two Balas, and a Rosy tetras leaving me with two tetras, this Bichir, and one Bala. I bought more fish to keep the Bala and tetras calm because they were freaking out without buddies. I got two rainbow sharks, a black skirt tetra, and a couple of feeder fish to keep them all safe until the others grew out of bite-sized proportions. Its been three weeks since the overfeeding fiasco when I did a %40 water change (I know, harsh.). It's been a week with the new fish. I am certain my Bichir is going to die tonight.

- The important bit: Just now I noticed my Bichir is very very swollen (his whole body, NOT just his stomach!!) To the point his scales are protruding and he has to launch himself out of the water to grab air, he is too bloated to float on top when he needs air like normal. Then, in between his scales his skin is very red and irritated, almost bloody looking. He is obviously very uncomfortable. I don't know what to do!! Based on the info I just shared, is there anything you think this might be? I couldn't find anything at all with Google searching. I did not quarentine the new fish. It is a 75 gallon tank. Please help,.I honestly don't think he'll make it through the night at this point.??

Attachments

• IMG_20170926_020951.jpg
    IMG_20170926_020951.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 285
Look into 'Dropsy'.It is really a symptom of a bacterial infection.Often by the time the symptoms show internal damge has been done.
On the 40% waterchange done weeks ago,You should change water weekly IMO..
A 40% water change only removed 40% of the nutrients back then.Since then even with proper feeding the nutrients have risen...Many do 50% a week to keep their water clean...

Look into 'Dropsy'.It is really a symptom of a bacterial infection.Often by the time the symptoms show internal damge has been done.
On the 40% waterchange done weeks ago,You should change water weekly IMO..
A 40% water change only removed 40% of the nutrients back then.Since then even with proper feeding the nutrients have risen...Many do 50% a week to keep their water clean...

Thanks coralbandit. I will do water changes more often. I had looked into dropsy, and he only matched a few of the symptoms, but enough of them to be suspicious. I truly don't know what is going on, but I ended up putting him in quarentine with broad-spectrum antibiotics. Now it is just a waiting game ??. Thank you for your response.

Back
Top Bottom