Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2019, 03:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ways to raise pH--fish sick

I posted in another area yesterday, no responses. We have one or two fish with ich. I've only had ich once before and the fish had it for three weeks before dying(that fish had something else wrong before the ich). I tried Metroplex and Paraguard last time. After dose 2 of Paraguard, the fish died plus a healthy fish died too. What med works please?

We use distilled water in our tank. Have been doing so for 5 months. I add some tap to it to help raise the pH(tap pH is like 9, distilled water is 6.2-6.6). it has been working fine. i guess the last batch of store water had a lower pH, suddenly the tank is at a 6.2-6.4?

I can't use neutral regulator as our phosphates have started to rise again. We treated months ago with phosguard and all has been normal until now. They aren't super high yet, but I won't add phosphates to the tank, it will screw everything up. I contacted Seachem to ask what products they have. They said to use the alkaline buffer they make as it contains no phosphate. Well, according to the product label, it is a phosphate buffer, so they're stupid.

There must be some other way to gradually increase pH.
I've looked everywhere, everything sounds fake or dangerous.

We have one other tank that has no phosphate issue--that fish was slow too. Her pH was also very low. We added more tap to that tank at a risk of increasing nitrates--it worked. Fish was happy within two hours. That tank is tiny, it would take another major water change to up the pH of the bigger 20 gal tank.

Here is my other post--we are desperate.

2 questions, desperate--Ich

Old 05-10-2019, 07:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are you using carbon in your tank? If so you have to remove it before using medication for it to work.
I'm not sure how to raise PH, but I've been told that fish will adapt to what is in your water.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You shouldn't use a majority of distilled water without mineralizing it or your fish will die. I'd mix 50/50 tap and distilled. It should bring your pH up and give them the minerals they need. Although I don't think your pH is a problem at 6.2 to 6.4 depending on the fish you keep.

A good way to raise pH and keep it stable is to add crushed coral to your substrate. Another way is to add baking soda to the tank at 1 TEAspoon per 5 gallons of water. Dilute it in water first before adding.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yes, obviously the carbon was removed, although for metroplex, Seachem said I didn't need to. I did remove it with the Paraguard last time and nothing worked--fish died, even healthy appearing fish. So, do I dose it again with paraguard and hope the goldfish and healthy cory do not die? The fish actually seemed better this weekend, i thought the metroplex had worked. He was swimming more and I had a hard time finding the spots. Well, now it's worse and what had looked like balls on his fins turned into kind of a peeling looking gunk--hard to see on such a small fish. Goldfish has one spot on his side, honestly it just looks as though a scale is missing--all fins are normal as is the second cory. All three eat. Plus, I saw the cory ingest the metroplex.

Is there something I can use to add minerals back to the distilled water? If I add half tap water, my nitrates shoot way up, plus the pH of our tap is so high that it will go to an 8.2. No, I cannot find anything anywhere stating that 6.2pH is OK for Goldfish and Cories. The API tests themselves say it's too low.

You can buy distilled water with minerals re-added--it's for babies' formula. Or I could try purified water with the distilled.

Thanks for the response.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually cories can take a pH under 6 (5.5) but also adapt to high ph. Goldfish should be over 7.0 and they don't seem to do well below 7.0.

I'd use spring water or alkaline water in your situation. Have you mixed 50/50 tap and distilled, let it sit for 24 hours and then tested it? What is half of the nitrates of your tap water?

You can add trace mineral drops to your distilled water.

Carbon will remove meds in a tank no matter what it is. I know some meds like Metroplex and Paragaurd won't kill beneficial bacteria though.

Tags
fish, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com