Weird Stuff Growing on Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did some research and read that they could be a kind of bacterial colony, caused by overfeeding. How often do you feed your fish?

I feed them twice a day... I know I have a heavy hand when I feed and ive been doing alot better with the feeding. I think that's why in my main tank it hasn't been regrowing as much but still there... but I stoped feeding the betta tank for 3 days and it's still there so although over feeding can be the start... It doesn't seem like the solution cause once they are in there they are in there

Consider a species that we refer to as hailing from calm waters or does not appreciate flow/current. Is a 200gph hob on a 10g really creating more current than what that species experiences in its natural environment? I dont think so...
These big gph numbers are inflated and deceiving.

My main tank is 30 gallons and the flow is calm with the spray bar and is adjusted to keep the fish from flying everywhere. While I understand that we should be replicating the natural environment for these fish, I'm sure that a strong filter that keeps the tank super clean is not the cause of these fungus.
Also if you suggest that medication is the cause of the white stuff what should I do to remove these things when it was there when the water had no salt had no medication and in clean water?

I have the same problem. So when you figure it out please let me know. Every 3-4 days I'm cleaning the glass. Driving me crazy. Mine is kinda fuzzy looking. I will see it floating through the tank from time to time. Like you said, it doesn't seem to be harmful to the fish but I'm just tired of looking at it. I use Seachem Excel and it's not getting rid of it. I have no other algae in my tank. Please help us out.

Yah I totally understand how you feel... It drives me insane because u can't just leave it either cause then it grows out of hand and causing the water to be low quality and there that's when the fish are affected.

My main tank is 30 gallons and the flow is calm with the spray bar and is adjusted to keep the fish from flying everywhere. While I understand that we should be replicating the natural environment for these fish, I'm sure that a strong filter that keeps the tank super clean is not the cause of these fungus.
Also if you suggest that medication is the cause of the white stuff what should I do to remove these things when it was there when the water had no salt had no medication and in clean water?
That post went to wrong thread

It's really hard trying to identify these things which is strange. I wish i had a microscope to look at them with. *sigh*

It's really hard trying to identify these things which is strange. I wish i had a microscope to look at them with. *sigh*

I know... the most frustrating part on this journey was seeing how alot of people had this and posted it online but never really identified it or has a solution on how they got rid of it. Hopefully we will be able to finally find a solution for all those people out the struggling with this criter

I remember when I was young I used to use meds. I remember several tanks years ago where I get that look. Just went away from what I remember.

Quick question.. do u leave the active carbon in your filter when using coppersafe?

Quick question.. do u leave the active carbon in your filter when using coppersafe?

No, the carbon will remove all chemical treatments rendering them useless. So you will have to remove the carbon for the treatment to be effective

Edit: I thought I read this on the bottle, but it may have been online somewhere instead

No, the carbon will remove all chemical treatments rendering them useless. So you will have to remove the carbon for the treatment to be effective

Edit: I thought I read this on the bottle, but it may have been online somewhere instead

Okay yah. That's what I thought. But the instructions also said if ur carbon is 6 days old then u can keep it in... But if u said it was more effective without the carbon I'll do it that way

Hey guys

Has any one seen any changes at all? Im on day 4 and nothign really different. I left the white stuff on to see if they go away but some look like they are happy and thriving :'(

Hey guys

Has any one seen any changes at all? Im on day 4 and nothign really different. I left the white stuff on to see if they go away but some look like they are happy and thriving :'(

With regular waterchanges and wiping the glass mine just kind of stopped coming back? Im not sure why.
I guess just try wiping them off when you do a waterchange.. I will update if mine come back at any time.

With regular waterchanges and wiping the glass mine just kind of stopped coming back? Im not sure why.
I guess just try wiping them off when you do a waterchange.. I will update if mine come back at any time.

i have been feeding less often and in measured amounts. So basically my fish get the near-exact amount of food every day. Maybe less waste had something to do with it?

Back
Top Bottom