What am i doing wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey17

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so about a week ago i bought another green spotted pufferfish. I kept him in the same tank as my old one and today i find him dead? Why? His sg was 1.004 and there was no nitrite or ammonia in his tank. He also ate earlier in the day. Then later on i noticed him staying near the bottom of the tank. Does anyone know what happend? I'd really like to keep one of these till they reach adult hood. Oh by the way he was in a 10 gallon and he was a little bit under an inch long.

How much time had passed between the old fish dying and getting the new fish? Are there any other fish in the tank? Did you get this fish from the same source as the previous one?

what was the SG of the water he came from? quick changes to salinity can stress fish.

How long has the tank been cycled? How long did the last puffer live?

About a week or so passed before i got another one. I asked about the sg of the tank he was in before and they told me they couldnt figure it out because theier hydrometer wasn't working or something. It looked like it was at zero. The last puffer lived longer about a month. No other fish in the tank. Yes i bought it from the same place as the previous one. I quick cycled cycled the tank again with some stuff called cycle from Nutrafin.

A) Wait a few weeks in between. If your problem is a disease, it needs to die off.
B) I'm not hopeful about a fish store with broken test equiptment. Or maybe they really did have the fish in fresh water. Drip acclimate the next fish over a long period of time, (2 hours or so) so he can adjust slowly to the change.
C) If fish from one store repeatedly die, sometimes it's the store, or thier supplier.

The one that lived a month had no symptoms?

Nope, the same thing happend with this one. I fed him earlier in the day then later on i tried to give him 2 bloodworms at night and he didnt touch them. Then the next morning i found him dead.

Im willing to guess that the water the new puffer was acclimated to was freshwater and the sudden change in SG stressed it to death.. sorry for your loss..
you might want to take your hydrometer to the store with you to test the water.. Im sure most places wouldnt mind.. HTH

Alright, thanks everyone for your help. The food i was giving to him wouldnt have anything to do with it would it? I would give him a piece of krill once a week and during the week i would give him frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom