What should i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomCarter13

Aquarium Advice Activist
So.. This has been an ongoing problem since the introduction of my discus. I have had them for over a month now and i am still having a gill problem. I have tried so many things like quarantining, treatment, daily 50-80% wc to get rid of it but no. The same symptoms remain. Clamping one of their gills, occasional twitching their fins, occasional scratching, and breathing fast.

My water parameters are:

pH 7.0
Am 0ppm
Tri 0ppm
Tra 5-10ppm

The fish aren't dark, they don't hide all the time, and they eat and love to eat, they are still showing aggression, I've even noticed two of the discus trying to pair up but i could be wrong. The two follow each other everywhere, they get together and do what looks like "clean" a spot on a piece of driftwood together and they do this weird twitching thing with their bodies to each other.

On some aspects they seem healthy but i know that they are actually unhealthy with a problem in the gills.

I just want to know if there are any other options i can try? I am really close to ending my treatment of prazi with the fish so after i will be just doing very large daily wc and hope for the best unless there are other options.

This is the second time I've had discus and both times they have had gill flukes. It is so frustrating it is making me want to give up fish keeping.

Someone please help or atleast give me courage?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

since there is very little outward signs and they still have good color and eat well I would NOT be treating with meds at all.

The odd flashing could be many things. for example you do a water change and the temp is off by a degree of two. or just turning on the lights from complete darkness could sometimes stress the fish out. its not uncommon for fish to flash due to being stressed caused by things outside of being sick.

I am pretty sure with the amount of time you have been seeing this type of behaviour if it was lets say gill flukes you would notice the parasite by now. or have death in the tank.

continue focusing on keeping nitrate as low as you can. 0-5 would be ideal. make sure to keep temp consistent. feed quality foods. and don't run the lights for too long 8-10 hours.

how big are the discus and what size tank?

meds alone could stress the fish and cause a lot of harm if prolong treatment occurs. they may just be reacting to the meds and constant change of environments (QT moving etc.)

active , eating, and show good color I would say not too much to worry about just yet.

Back
Top Bottom