What should i expect when using crushed coral for ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pixelcatt

Aquarium Advice Regular
I normally have high ph tap water. Because of that and my green phantom pleco i added a piece of mopani wood. Over the last month its lowered my tanks ph too much so i added 3tbsp of crushed coral to my filter now its a solid 6.8 even right after pwc.

Now i have a second wood loving pleco and will be adding a second piece. I'm conserned it will lower my ph too much long term. I know i can naturally balance the buffers with the crushed coral.

At what amt/rate does the crushed coral typically work? I just an idea of how much to add to make adjustments.

Out of curiosity, have you tested your tap water after letting it equilibrate for a day or so, mabye with an airstone in it? I have personally experienced water that will drop 1.5+ in 24 hours time.

I havent done that but i know before adding the wood my ph would jump around at extremes. It became stable one month after adding the wood.

I havent been able to check that in a while cause my test strips went bad not that their results were ever accurate when compared to the liquid test results. I only have the liquid tests for nitrites, ph, and ammonia. I have tests for nitrates and gh & kh in the mail. I'm not in a big rush, I'm still prepping the new mopani wood. Ill be able to get an estimate of kh tomorrow though. Ill post when i know.

Back
Top Bottom