What's wrong with this neon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stretch

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought 8 of them today, one of them looked like this as soon as he came outta the bag. He's not schooling with the other fish, wasn't scared at all by the camera, and is staying near the top of the tank towards one corner (almost 100% of the time).

Any ideas what might be wrong with him? Should I just take him back to the store in the morning? Is it safe to leave him in the tank? There are 8 neons and 3 corys in the tank total.

These pics were taken through the top of the tank, I couldn't get any clear ones through the glass.

Edit:
Nevermind. He didn't make it. I guess I'll take him back to the fish store tomorrow. Poor guy... :(

Looks like neon tetra disease, which is bad news. It progresses slowly and it was probably transfer stress that offed 'im. Watch your other neons for areas of whiteness that spreads slowly.

Apocalypse can dragon fish get neon tetra disease? If they can I will never buy neons. Also one of my platys died recently from something that looked exactly like that. I havent added any new fish , but can they carry this disease for months before it shows? I need to know because if they can I need to seperate all my platys from my dragon lest he get it. Just in case. He is my favorite fish and I dont want to lose him.

Stretch, I'd QT all the affected fish. NTD is pretty much incurable...but sometimes it responds to strong antibiotic such as Kanacmycin, Tetracycline, or Minocycline. You can try QT'ing and treating with antibiotics, but if it continues to progress you may have to consider euthanizing the fish.

How can I QT the fish that may have it? I don't have any extra tanks. Maybe a pot or pitcher of water? I may need to euthanize him if he is a risk to all the rest of my fish.

Stretch said:
How can I QT the fish that may have it? I don't have any extra tanks. Maybe a pot or pitcher of water? I may need to euthanize him if he is a risk to all the rest of my fish.
Rubbermaid storage containers in various sizes make wonderful quarantine tanks, you can mount a HOB or canister filter and add a heater if needed. The darker ones cut down on light and help lower stress which is good during treatment/recovery.

Big rubbermaid storage bins.
See this thread, http://www.oscarfish.com/oscar-travel-vt54913.html?highlight=rubbermaid
temptank04.jpg

Photo by T_Chelle16

Back
Top Bottom