When do I filter out the Coppersafe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Citicricket

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 45 gal that I have slowly introduced fish into over the past few months. I now have 3 platies, 7 neons, 3 veil-tail tetras, 2 dwarf gouramis and a bala shark. Of course every time I have added a fish I get ick in my tank so I have the temp at 82 and added Coppersafe. I did a 5 gal change and rinsed the filters a week or so ago but I wonder when I should do a 20% change and put carbon back in my filters to remove the Coppersafe? Is it better to leave the Coppersafe for a while even without the carbon filters or should I try to get some new water and a good filter system back into place? All fish are well for now and I don't plan to add more, at least until I can find a Kuhli loach! What about the temp? Can I leave it at 80 or 82 or is that too warm? THANKS!

you dont have too remove the carbon with coppersafe, read the package, it leaves the tank after a month or so and every water change you do you put more coppersafe in for the amount of water you take out.i would leave the temp at 78- 80

My package says a carbon filter will remove the coppersafe and that carbon filters should be removed when using the medication....so I wonder which is more important; water that is being filtered through carbon or water that has coppersafe in it. According to my package I can't have both. Should I just leave the coppersafe for a few more weeks than do a water change and put my carbon filters back. THANKS...I REALLY appreciate the advice.

If treatment is finished, add fresh carbon and remove the copper. Its a poisonous metal (is why it works so well to kill ich) and you don't want to expose the fish to it any longer then you have to. Basically 3 days after the last sign of ich is an ok time to stop treating. If you haven't read this article yet, I do suggest it *grin* http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=32

My planted tank is around 80f, my main tank around 83f. Your fish should be fine at those temps, but do remember higher temps means higher metabolism; they will eat more, be more active and not live as long.

And a suggestion if I may: look into setting up a QT. By reinfecting your fish, and treating and retreating, you are putting your fish in a bad position.

i just read my package again and it says if activated carbon is over 5 days old, it may be left in place, and i looked over the box more and read saltwater coppersafe, sorry for the wrong info, im just wondering if you can tell me what the copper levels are for the fresh water copper safe the salt water copper levels are "1.5ppm- 2.0ppm", thanx

I checked my labels too and the freshwater says to "maintain normal filtration" and the saltwater version of coppersafe says "remove carbon filters that have been changed in the last five days"...No wonder I'm confused! I accidentally bought the saltwater version and when I realized my mistake bought the freshwater coppersafe. Funny that the treatments are different for each product although they appear to be basically the same thing. I have thought about a quarantine tank but frankly I just spent about $400 on this tank, I hate to buy a whole new set up and filters etc. just to let it run empty. My goal is to get a tank with a nice group of healthy fish and than not add any more for a long time! :eek:)

treating sick fish with copper-safe without carbon filtration

By experience, I have found if you don't remove the carbon, even if its 2 years old, it will remove levels of copper to the point that the bacteria and parasites begin to attack again. Copper-safe is the best medicine for fish. The level will stay in the right range as long as there is no carbon filtration. Use extra sponge filter to replace carbon and it will continue to filter healthy water while your fish recover. Don't think that just cause you don't see parasite or fungus marks that the treatment is over. Allow copper-safe to remain in the tank until it dissipates on its own after 1 month, then put the carbon back in or replace with a new one. Your fish will love you. Remember, use metronidazole (General Cure) in their food to remove internal parasites. This is the best treatment plan for all fish, especially discus. I like to treat in a quarantine tank and always keep it running, so when something happens without notice, you have a safe tank ready and mature. After treatment is confirmed successful, sterilize quarantine tank with hot water (110 degrees minimum) just in case, allow it to mature again for a few weeks before trying to treat other fish. Hot water can be used to sterilize everything that you use like nets, filters and whatever. Fungus is one of the hardest external parasites to treat. They could be infected without showing any signs before its almost too late. always look for white foamy skin in the dark with a light shining from the side. Keep you fish clean and happy. :)

I'll add that sterilization doesn't occur until water reaches 175 degrees. A lot of items can be cleaned and sterilized with vinegar (gram negative bacteria) and even dish soap (anti bacterial), of course bleach with a good rinse.

Back
Top Bottom