white crusty mouth...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lornajane89

Aquarium Advice Freak
My african leaf fishes mouth has gone white as you can see

ForumRunner_20130416_195501.jpg

ForumRunner_20130416_195515.jpg

I have recently (3days ago) added him to my new tank which i cycled with ammonia over 6 weeks. My parameters are 0.0.30 and my ph is 7.6 and temp is 79° He shares the new tank with 8 bleeding heart tetras and 7 juvenile angel fish

The tank is a juwel rio 400 so i believe is 100 gallons i have 2x 2000lph all pond solutions filters pumping just over 1000gph and one has a built in uv but i question its effectivness.

The tank had a 90% pwc after cycling but the substrate was changed cause i was having problems with sand, i know this may affect the bb and cycling but ive been testing every day and my parameters seem perfect. And when i planted it had another Big pwc. Since then about 5days ago i havent cleaned the tank

Ive had the alf for about a year. i think hes about 6" long he eats meal worms, bloodworms, brineshrimp, daphnia, flakes and anythin else small enough to be food.

I acclimated him slowly over about 45 mins in a bag and kept adding a cupfull of water or so, so it wouldnt shock him. He seems healthy enough besides his white mouth hes swimming about and eating just fine i just dont want this to get worse

Thanks for any help, sorry if the posts a bit all over the place i was following the posting guide.

looks like mouth fungus to me, I would treat the tank. He could most likely spread it to the rest of the tank. What are your exact numbers? I take it you didn't Quarantine before adding him?

Treating for fungus is probably not a bad idea, but just in my experience, if the treatment doesn't clear it up, watch him closely and see if he is having a dispute with another fish in the tank. My blood parrot gets crusty mouth when he fights with my convict, he usually starts with the convict and the convict usually latches on the the parrots ever gaping mouth. I also got concerned when I first noticed it thinking it was a fungus of some sort. Very similar in appearance to your leaf fish. It is still better to be safe than sorry so I too suggest treating for fungus if you don't see any hostility in the tank.

Ive had him in a 45gallon for a year hes just been added to my new 100g with 8 bleeding heart tetras and 7 juvenile angel fish (about 1" each)

Its just weird how he only got this after i added him. The tetras and angels are fine. The tanks only been running for about 6 or 7 weeks but i fishless cycled with pure ammonia

Perhaps hes been carrying it for a while and its just started to affect with the stress of moving to the new tank. Also noticed one of my tetras has a flap of skin hanging off his "chin"... Maybe something sharp in there one of my rocks are a bit jagged as its like layered rock

He used to be in a tank with rainbow cichlids. Do they fight with their mouths? I know the have little razor teeth at the front of their mouths.. That might explain the white line on top of his nose. Wondering if i missed this when i added him. It did seem a little instantaneous i mean i put him in after acclimating him and once he came out of hiding after maybe 15-20mins he had the white line.. ??? Im seriously confused now.. I had added the rainbows to the 100g for a short while until i realised they would massacre my plants.. Perhaps the male attacked my bleeding heart tetra too.. Hes back in the old 45gal now i think im gonna sell them before i get rid of the old tank. Im gonna pick up some melafix and pimafix tomorro and see how i get on. If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions id be greatful.

Thanks for your help so far

Be careful with both of those, they smell and they contain clove oil. Too much can kill a fish. Also Betta's and similar cannot have regular Pima/melafix they have to have the betta kind. Get a fungus treatment. Better and no smell. well some do.

Back
Top Bottom