White patches on Corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can treat the cories at full strength with the furan 2. I had to treat 2 of my 9 a couple months ago and they were fine.

Tried, but not sure if they were stressed out too much by it. One Cory died during every dose. I'm thinking kanaplex for the remainder. Not sure if it was furan or the fungus. (the cories are babies as well). Thanks for the input though.

keep in mind there is always pathogens present in tanks, just like we carry things all the time but it only affects those who are weak.

Of course. I have been in this hobby a while, but meds are not something I normally use hence the questions

Just to update....my cory # 3 seemed like he was hanging on, just that he was very still most of the time but I did see him swim. a few times. I checked on him before I went to sleep and he was leaning to one side. When I disturbed him he started flipping around and could not swim properly anymore. Same thing that happened with others. I chose to put him to sleep with the freezing water method as described here on the website to be the most humane and instantaneous. Unfortunately when I put him in the container of freezing water (quart size yoghurt container), he swam a couple of laps before he finally settled. I followed the directions to freeze until ice particles formed but not solid. The top froze over so had to actually break it up and then left it a little longer, so I am sure it was cold enough. So to make a long story short is this normal, because if I have to ever do this again I will be prepared and feel more comfortable.

My last cory was swimming around the glass in the main tank all day yesterday. That is normal when they are happy or playing the mating game and before laying eggs, but its odd she is doing this by herself and for so long. I hope she is not lonely or looking for tank mates.Thank you everyone for your support and willingness to help. I am armed with a wealth of information and hope to get things back on track.

Last edited:
How are the tetras going? I think you had one with a white pimple as well?

yes correct, but that was before this go around. Two of them each had one pimple that emerged on the side which literally grew out like a pimple, then burst. From then the "pimple" healed and they are fine. That was last month and a bit different from what the corys had--patches were not a bump and did not get bigger until it burst, their's just looked like flesh deteriorating. My rasporas are all fine as well.

yes correct, but that was before this go around. Two of them each had one pimple that emerged on the side which literally grew out like a pimple, then burst. From then the "pimple" healed and they are fine. That was last month and a bit different from what the corys had--patches were not a bump and did not get bigger until it burst, their's just looked like flesh deteriorating. My rasporas are all fine as well.

Thanks - I must admit to me it all sounds like a columnaris type bacterial infection for the two dead tetras (eg fungus on mouth = cotton mouth) and also these corys. If it comes back, I'd try the furan 2 and kanaplax together (these two seem to work better together).

I'd suspect the pimples were also bacterial infections, which ruptured with pus, and the healed. Threads using metronidazole report success but I'm not sure on these how much it helped.

So sorry for your loss corylee. :(

Question dela. Would you need to half dose kanaplex to catfish since it is such a strong med?

So sorry for your loss corylee. :(

Question dela. Would you need to half dose kanaplex to catfish since it is such a strong med?

I'd go full dose imo for columnaris (as per med packet instructions) and you may need to repeat dose. With columnaris my experience has been your trying to stop it killing all your fish in that school, I'd rather a case of ich or fungus any day.

I did re-read the labels of furan 2 and kanaplax here and no mention of half dosing I could find if that helps.

was just curious as I called SeaChem and they said to be cautious with scaleless fish because they can be sensitive to Kana. Thanks much. :)

In my cases I've found larger, more mature fish can handle meds better and fight the infection off better. I've had catfish in several tablespoons of salt per 5 gallons no problems but they were quite large and I'd had them a long time.

The great thing about QTs I find is if they don't look to be doing well with the med, a pwc dilutes it straight away.

I'm a wreck right now, because my big catfish got the fungus from the corydoras because it must have infected the tank. mind if I PM you asking for some advice?

Back
Top Bottom