White patches on Corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coryloverlee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please help - having a tough couple months - trying to identify what's up with my cory's. They have white patch on side of head, showed up overnight. I found out last night my ammonia had crept up since last week, which I think I have under control now. Did large water change last night. I don't have a hospital tank.

Within the last two months, I lost 2 Tetras, one had fungus or something on his mouth that appeared out of nowhere and the other just got weak. Then a few weeks ago one white pimple emerged on two of my Tetras, just about where the belly is. I did w/c's and dosed with Lifeguard all in one then Cure all for the pimples. The cory's patches are not pimples, looks more like scraped skin. I have not medicated yet as this just showed up.

I do weekly water changes and vacuum gravel. I figured out the recent ammonia spike came as a result of me not using Cycle with my w/c. Didn't realize it takes out ammonia, I was using it since I got the tank. I ran out due to above w/c during that round of evens and I read it was not necessary in established tank so I didn't replace it.

4 yr old tank, never had these problems before. Introduced cory number 4 well before Christmas and he seems fine. When I asked storeclerk said it's possible I could have picked up something from fish food which can have parasites???
20 gal - marina filters, 5 serpae tetras, 7 rasporas, 4 corys, live plants
I am at a loss and can't stand the thought of losing any more fish.

Attachments

• water.jpg
    water.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 106
  • corys 2.jpg
    corys 2.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 115
  • corys 1.jpg
    corys 1.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 115
  • tetra.jpg
    tetra.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 113
Thank you, what is the best treatment? Pet store gives me different answers and some are absurd even by my amateur standards.

How much water are you changing ?
How often are you changing water ?

I use Prime with every water change.

You must keep Ammonia at Zero or you'll keep getting sick fish.

Keep testing your water and keep on top of water changes. I think pristine water is even more important than meds for your fishes recovery.

I almost never use medication so I couldn't tell you what would be best.

Are you swapping out filter pads ?

Don't over clean either. I typically rinse my filter pads in used tank water on a different day than I vacuum the gravel. So I'm not getting rid of too much of my beneficial bacteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Showing ammonia but zero nitrites and nitrates sounds like your tank is going through a mini cycle. Make sure you were shaking up your test as directed. You can get a misreading otherwise.

Make sure you're adding something like prime especially if your tapwater also contains Cloramines. Test your tap water as well as your tank water.

I would do a 50% water change and treat with something like Furan2.

^ this. I definitely don't want to steer you wrong, but I had a Cory with a white patch not long ago and Furan-2 cleared it up. Like Coursair, I'm pretty new to/avoid meds despite being in the hobby a long time, so I'm usually reluctant to advise them.

How much water are you changing ?
How often are you changing water ?

I use Prime with every water change.

You must keep Ammonia at Zero or you'll keep getting sick fish.

Keep testing your water and keep on top of water changes. I think pristine water is even more important than meds for your fishes recovery.

I almost never use medication so I couldn't tell you what would be best.

Are you swapping out filter pads ?

Don't over clean either. I typically rinse my filter pads in used tank water on a different day than I vacuum the gravel. So I'm not getting rid of too much of my beneficial bacteria.

I usually do 25% weekly maintenance. Every other day when there is a problem. I can tell how my corys act when there is an issue because they are usually very playful and have a great appetite, always dancing around. I test with the kit shown and follow directions precisely. Also bought a fresh kit in case my old one was expired, used both and they came out the same. I have 4 marina slim filters, I swap two at a time every couple of weeks, so basically 2 per month or so. I always used Stress Coat and cycle to treat tap water, temp is at 75 - I have a separate thermometer from the heater in case of failure. I didn't realize how attached I would become to my tank so am always very involved and it kills me to lose fish. I guess I could have overcleaned somewhat, but my nitrate was always high and only got them down recently but the fish have been fine for for the most part.

So I lost my baby cory, he was only a few months old. He was the only thing that changed other than food that the fish store said could have been contaminated with parasites. Baby cory was very healthy, active, grew like a weed, so whatever happened stopped him in his tracks. I bought him so I could have 4. He didn't have the spots, so its baffling. I did ~ 30% w/c tonight, ammonia was up again when I came home. Used prime then medicated with Fungus Guard tablets - Active Ingredients: nitrofurazone, furzolidone and potassium dichromate. Of the 3 remaining corys only one is very active and eating (while I'm watching) the others swim around but are mostly hiding. I pray I don't wake up to bad news. Also added StressZyme to add back whatever healthy bacteria I may have removed while fighting this battle the last several weeks and hopefully will help with the biological filter. I appreciate everyone's help, hopefully I have done things correctly and am on my way to a healthy tank again. I can't believe ammonia can shoot up like this, I had no idea how much the Nutrafin cycle must have been keeping it at bay.

Some meds, you'll need to remove Carbon from your filters.

Some meds you need to use 1/2 strength as Corys are Scaleless.

You don't need to replace filter pads unless they are falling apart.

What are you feeding your Cories ?

Mine eat
Omega One Shrimp Pellets
Frozen Brine Shrimp
Frozen Bloodworms ( too large for Dwarf species)
Frozen Cyclops
Omega One Color Flakes
Live Brine Shrimp when I can

They will also snack on the Shrimp foods.

While the fish are sick and you ar treating them, I would leave the light off or on low, so it is less stressful for them.
Don't forget to remove any carbon from your filter while treating with antibiotics.

Some meds, you'll need to remove Carbon from your filters.

Some meds you need to use 1/2 strength as Corys are Scaleless.

You don't need to replace filter pads unless they are falling apart.

What are you feeding your Cories ?

Mine eat
Omega One Shrimp Pellets
Frozen Brine Shrimp
Frozen Bloodworms ( too large for Dwarf species)
Frozen Cyclops
Omega One Color Flakes
Live Brine Shrimp when I can

They will also snack on the Shrimp foods.

Lost cory #2 - I'm so sad:(...I
API Shrimp pellets for bottom feeders
frozen brine shrimp
they eat flakes that make it to the bottom (tetra color)
omega one veggie rounds occasionally

filters are slim cartridges, so they really can't fall apart, but they get pretty sluggie and water flow slows pretty dramatically when they get clogged up, that's usually every few weeks, so i change 2 of the 4 out (marina slim)

Is it possible the baby cory brought something with it, bought him in November. He was the size of my raspora but he grew well, got along with the others really flourished and grew fast, very active and ate well until this happened. Only other thing was new package frozen shrimp.

So I lost my baby cory, he was only a few months old. He was the only thing that changed other than food that the fish store said could have been contaminated with parasites. Baby cory was very healthy, active, grew like a weed, so whatever happened stopped him in his tracks. I bought him so I could have 4. He didn't have the spots, so its baffling. I did ~ 30% w/c tonight, ammonia was up again when I came home. Used prime then medicated with Fungus Guard tablets - Active Ingredients: nitrofurazone, furzolidone and potassium dichromate. Of the 3 remaining corys only one is very active and eating (while I'm watching) the others swim around but are mostly hiding. I pray I don't wake up to bad news. Also added StressZyme to add back whatever healthy bacteria I may have removed while fighting this battle the last several weeks and hopefully will help with the biological filter. I appreciate everyone's help, hopefully I have done things correctly and am on my way to a healthy tank again. I can't believe ammonia can shoot up like this, I had no idea how much the Nutrafin cycle must have been keeping it at bay.

I would skip the API Stress Zyme and use API Quick Start. Adding bacterial supplants to a tank with a bacteria infection is a risk but at least Quick Start only has nitrifying bacteria.

I would stop replacing Filters. What you should do of the get gunky is when you so a water change put it in a bucket and then rinse 1-2 filters at a time in the old water. Just kinda swish them around. Every time you replace one if you have 4 you are taking a quarter of your good bacteria from the filter. Tap water can kill the bacteria so make sure you just rinse with the old tank water

Question. You lost the baby Cory. Did you put the meds in before or after he died?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Question. You lost the baby Cory. Did you put the meds in before or after he died?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

yes I added it before... I found the receipt I got him early November so he was only a couple months old.

Last edited:
I'm having this same fungus still with mine I just realized last night (yet again), and after the meds they die it seems even at half dose now; it has hurt more than it has helped. I bought 5 babies and one developed it, giving it to all the rest except for two strong ones. it is incredibly hard to see on the babies, though, at least going from what is going on with me now. Totally feel your pain though, because kind of baffled. It could be system stresses coming into play?

Are they in the main tank or alone in a QT tank? Also, is it at full dose?

I'm having this same fungus still with mine I just realized last night (yet again), and after the meds they die it seems even at half dose now; it has hurt more than it has helped. I bought 5 babies and one developed it, giving it to all the rest except for two strong ones. it is incredibly hard to see on the babies, though, at least going from what is going on with me now. Totally feel your pain though, because kind of baffled. It could be system stresses coming into play?

Are they in the main tank or alone in a QT tank? Also, is it at full dose?

I was starting to think I was the only one with this, I am sorry for you. It was a full dose. After the fact someone mentioned to half dose for cory's. They didn't tell me that a fish store. I set up a little 5 gal tank this morning and moved the 2 with the spots into it. The one that wasn't doing to well in the main tank died within a few hours of the move, I wasn't surprised. The other seems stable so hoping he gets through the night. And the third I left in a big tank-he has no spots and is acting completely normal and eating as usual. I am on top of reg water changes--maybe I stirred things up too much vacuuming, i just don't have answers. Under magnifying glass it looks fluffy like a miniature cloud. I wondered if it was "hole in the head".

If only one survives I will have to get 3 more because it will be so lonely, but now I am afraid. what meds do you use? Was at fish store today they said there is this natural stuff for fungus and one for bacteria. Said its not as potent but doesn't harm fish Pimafix and Melafix.

Last edited:
I used Furan-2 at half dose, and nitrofurazone is in what you are using which is I think the main ingredient of furan.

Truthfully, I'm thinking about getting my replacement cories in a few months to let things stabilize (in case the infection/bacteria is lurking in the bacteria), and getting them from Aquabid. I gave the LFS store a shot, and I feel like it was blown. Also got them in Nov/Dec.

The only good news is that it's limited to the cories, as I have a fairly large Synodontis who remained uninfected while with the sick cories

I've used Pima/Mela before, but this wasn't my first choice this time because it spread like wildfire it seems. If Furan doesn't work (which it isn't) I might dose Kanaplex after rest days

Back
Top Bottom