White spots on pectoral fins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezzie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Trevor has some white fuzzy looking spots on both his pectoral fins, this is the first he's had an issue and I'm not sure what it is or now to treat it?

Is it ich? White spot? Fungal?

I did a water test and everything was fine except nitrates which were very high, tomorrow I will preform a 30-50% water change to help bring it down.

I attached some photos but the silly fish won't stop waving them around when he sees me grrrr!

Attachments

• image-843197740.jpg
    image-843197740.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 259
  • image-3429748025.jpg
    image-3429748025.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 85
  • image-2639588742.jpg
    image-2639588742.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 85
What are you exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? Tank size? Normal water change schedule (%/#wk)? Some more info will help!

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 80+ (really red)

To be very honest I don't really do as many water changes as I should for this big tank since he has never shown any problems until this. I have done two 50% since moving to this apartment in December, I will be upping the changes though especially if I need to medicate for this.

Edit: it's a 3ft tank, not sure of the water capacity though..

If you give us the tank dimensions (LxWxH), we can give you the approximate capacity. I would start with addressing your water quality issues before even considering meds. 50+% wcs daily until you are able to bring your nitrates under control (under 20ppm) then you will likely need to maintain a hefty wc schedule to keep them under control. If the nitrates are very red, they are likely in excess of 160ppm and it will take quite a bit work to bring them down.

Unless he is a brand new fish, its doubtful he has ich but the pics are a bit difficult to tell anything as there appears to be bits of white particles everywhere and I cant tell what is on the fish vs what is floating about. He likely is just in need of lots healthy water if its just minor issue. Keep us posted on how he is doing!

Hes a 4yr old fish so he is hardly new haha!

Since it doesn't really seem to be spreading (and I hope it doesn't) and he stills acts completely normal and eats like a beast then I'm sure cleaning up my water schedule (and my water at that!) will clear things up.

I don't think it's ick since its just on his pectorals and no were else on his body :S

Back
Top Bottom