Whoa! What's up with this fish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most likely just deformed, like humans can be born with deformities fish can too. I once seen a Golden Wonder.. He had it really bad.

I have a Glowlight tetra that has a side to side curve. I didn't notice when I bought the fish and it isn't obvious from the side, but from the top the fish is larger on one side and curves towards the smaller side. The fish is otherwise healthy and happy. It schools and swims fine and eats fine. Color, scales, eyes and fins are perfect. No irregular bumps or anything else that is wrong with her. I call her Curvy. So yes, sometimes they are fine, just deformed.

GailLA said:
I have a Glowlight tetra that has a side to side curve. I didn't notice when I bought the fish and it isn't obvious from the side, but from the top the fish is larger on one side and curves towards the smaller side. The fish is otherwise healthy and happy. It schools and swims fine and eats fine. Color, scales, eyes and fins are perfect. No irregular bumps or anything else that is wrong with her. I call her Curvy. So yes, sometimes they are fine, just deformed.

I also have a funky glowlight, he has blue eyes! Most have black, but mines blue..o_O

Bacteria and parasites can cause a bent spine too. I would stay away from it, personally.

The first thing that popped in my mind when I saw the pic was Curved Spine/TB. I had 2 Neon Tetras w/ that... not fun at all. I had to euthanize them when they could no longer swim upright.

Yeah, I didn't buy any fish, and never will at this store. There are always several dead fish in their tanks :(
It's scary though if that is TB. The fish was still for sale.

That does not look natural. I saw a black angel fish the size of a egg doing complete back flips at the lfs tank also not good.

Unfortuantely there's quite a bit of deformed fish out there. I have found everything from deformed rainbows, tetras, danios, cichlids...it's sad. I will have to post pics of some when I visit the LFS again.

GailLA said:
Wow, that is different. I've never seen a glowlight with blue eyes.

Ya, at first we thought he was blind but we watched him a bit and hes not. Hes magical o_O lol

I wouldn't go out to buy a deformed fish because of the risk that it could be a communicable issue. I certainly would be wary of purchasing the fish that is pictured. I feel for the little critter, but I don't need to buy trouble, either.

With Curvy the glowlight, because I could only see the problem at a certain angle, it was a few weeks before I even noticed. It doesn't get better and it doesn't get worse. So I just give her the best home I can. Of course because she is "different" I love her just a little bit more than the "normal" fish.

I'm just a newby, but doesn't that happen when a fish's growth is stunted. I've seen it a few times at the store. It's sad but is usually caused from over population or too small of a tank.

matthew0331 said:
I'm just a newby, but doesn't that happen when a fish's growth is stunted. I've seen it a few times at the store. It's sad but is usually caused from over population or too small of a tank.

Yes, sometimes that happens due to stunting, but not always. Sometimes a fish could just look like it stopped growing, and have no deformaties. This is stunting too

I've seen pics very similar to the one in the OP that were attributed to inbreeding.

Back
Top Bottom