Will Tetra general tonic kill my beneficial bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambithegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

I have a 30L tank iwth one halfmoon betta who got fin rot. Water parameters are all normal, but he was getting worse. I do weekly water changes and often an extra one mid week. I eventually bought some aquarium salt which I havent used yet and dosed his tank with some Tetra general tonic as per instructions but I read on another thread that this will kill my beneficial bacteria? I worked so hard to cycle this tank. What should I do now? Just let it be? I only have ammonia and nitrite kits at home. The PH and nitrates I have to get checked at pet shop. I also have some plants and watchng them closely. Will take them out if they seem affected. Any suggestions? I dont think I would need to give him another dose of the tonic so maybe just the one dose wont ruin the parameters?

Hi, I found this. Methylene blue in the second link is more suggested for a QT. I've used it with no problems for bb but in general I think a QT is better when using meds.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...OBXGS-xL1uopPnQ&bvm=bv.60983673,d.dGI&cad=rja

Pharmaceutically effective components per 100ml of solution:
Ethacridine lactate 836.0 mg
Acriflavin 160.2 mg
Methylene blue 56.44 mg
9-amino-acridine * HCI * H2O 28.20 mg

Aquarium Medications, Treatments, and How They Work (AQUARIUM CARE ARTICLES)

Hi, I found this. Methylene blue in the second link is more suggested for a QT. I've used it with no problems for bb but in general I think a QT is better when using meds.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...OBXGS-xL1uopPnQ&bvm=bv.60983673,d.dGI&cad=rja

Pharmaceutically effective components per 100ml of solution:
Ethacridine lactate 836.0 mg
Acriflavin 160.2 mg
Methylene blue 56.44 mg
9-amino-acridine * HCI * H2O 28.20 mg

Aquarium Medications, Treatments, and How They Work (AQUARIUM CARE ARTICLES)

Thanks Delapool. I think because I've only got him in the tank its not having any effect on my good bacteria which is good news. Water parameters still normal. Thanks for the info

Hi All, Matisse is looking much better, his fins are looking fuller, even though nowhere near his completely healed. Colour is very good. I medicated the tank with tetra general tonic last week and I am about to do my first water change since then. I think I must do 80-90% to get rid of all the meds is that right? i have this little container I bought at the petshop that is about 1 liter, can I put him in there while I clean the tank. I wanna do a proper job, and sometimes he gets in the way or I spook him a bit too much with gravel vacuum. I think he will be good from now on, might just keep adding some rooibos tea. I still have salt as a backup but not sure its necessary yet.

I just read that I should add carbon/coal for 24 hours to get rid of the rest of the meds but is this necessary. I thought I could just do an 80% water change or is that too much?

Organics in the tank will use up meds so if past redose date (as listed on bottle), they could be going.

Carbon will help and will remove meds.

Also pwc's - IMO a 50% water change is as high as I go so as not to change too much.

Edit - personal preference on pwc I meant to add.

Back
Top Bottom