X-Ray Tetra worry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J-D

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I've got a 28 gallon tank with 6 x-ray tetras who have been there 3 weeks getting the cycle going. i'm doing a 1/3 water change every week and feeding them every other day with flake food, as recommended when I bought them. Nitrate and Nitrite levels are pretty low, the temperature 26 degrees C, and the Rena Fisltar filter seems to be working fine. The water is a little hard and ph a little high but not overly so (ph is around 7.8). They've all seemed pretty happy and five of them still are, but these last couple of days one of them doesn't swim around with the group so much, he spends a lot of time just hanging around near the bottom of the tank opening and closing his mouth, reminds me of a really old person trying to keep their teeth in. He'll get more animated occasionally and join his buddies and when I fed them yesterday he joined in. Am I just being paranoid or could there be something wrong with him? This is my first aquarium, in case you didn't guess!

Hi JD and welcome to AA!

In order to know what may be ailing your tetra, posting the exact results of all of your tanks parameters would help a lot. Saying they are "pretty low" doesn't provide a full picture.

Nitrite level is 0-0.25ppm and Nitrate 5-10ppm. I had a quick peek just now and he's swimming around with the rest but he's at the back of the school and his mouth is still going for it. I was going to get some more fish tomorrow (I was thinking of 2 or 3 dwarf gourami and a catfish) but not sure I should now...

Do a test for ammonia in your water, it is likely elevated. In a cycling tank, ammonia can get pretty high and cause the fish to gasp like you are mentioning. This is why cycling your tank without fish is a good idea. :)

For now, try doing a large water change (40-50%) and see if that perks him up any.

I would have to agree with DT, your ammonia is probably quite high. Do the 50% water change asap and keep testing for ammonia and nitrites. Nitrate is the end of the cycle. You may have to do water changes more often than 30% once per week.

Welcome to AA and good luck with your tank. Keep us posted.

You stars! I've just done a 50% water change and immediately he's stopped gasping. I'll get an ammonia test tomorrow.

Thanks guys
x

Back
Top Bottom