Yet another Red Dwarf gourami sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyrules

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think my last red dwarf gourami is sick. He is hiding behind the false plant facing up and breathing really fast i dont know what could be wrong with him as the other fishs are ok.

TEMP: 25ºC
PH: 6.8 <--- Dropping but ive added water last sunday
Ammonia : 0 - 0.6 inbetween
Nitrate : 0

15 Gallon tank.

Anyone has an idea about his sickness ?

Any nitrite in the water? Usually fast breathing is caused by water parameter problems. Not always obviously but certainly one major cause.

Well... I`ll do a 50% water change just in case the are any parameter are dangerous range. As for nitrite... the test say... is it possible for the chimical of the tester to be bad ? Because it always give 0. I`m following the test to the book in the booklet. No it`s 0... nothing no nitrite.

Test kits can go bad, usually due to age. See how he is doing after a 50% pwc. It is frustrating I know when fish exhibit signs of illness with no definate cause.

Yes i cant keep it steady. it is always dropping. I have to do pwc regularly. it is overcrowded right now 7 fishs. That's why i`m getting a bigger tank. Now my fish has a white patch on his side. It maybe because he is bullied by the other fishs. Otherwise he is still breathing fast.

Not sure but possible. It look like there are missing scales in a single spot about half a cm of diameter. Didn't take any chance i`ve set up my QT and put him in with Melafix. I hope it will help.

Attachments

• dscn1101__large__169.jpg
    dscn1101__large__169.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 46
  • dscn1104__large__141.jpg
    dscn1104__large__141.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 53
It looks like a fungus. Might be columnaris, hopefully not. Good thing you put him into QT, I'm sure he appreciates it. Melafix and if you have it pimafix make a good combination IMO.

this morning he was parked beside a decoration i`ve added for him to hide. He is still breathing fast but it seem to me a little less faster. Now he is lying on his side still breathing but there are something on his side where the patch is it's a king of clear big growth really thin it look furry like cotton but really transparent and clear. It looks like he cannot stabilize himself his fins are moving. But my water is a little clouded.

I'd start treating with Pimafix as soon as possible. It can be used together with Melafix.

If you cannot find Pimafix, I'd get a medicine containing malachite green, or methylene blue. They are great at stopping a true fungus, IME.

Be aware though, that you shouldn't let either get on your skin. It will stain for a few days, and will permanently stain you clothing. It may also stain the acrylic glue on your tank for a while, or decorations as well.

I have QuickCure which contain malachite green. I`ll add it to the tank. I did a 75% pwc before adding the quickcure and compensate for the loss of melafix. So now he is lying on his side breathing a what look like normal or a little bit fast he is not moving. It look like the fungus is destabilizing him and he cannot move.

This morning :
Well the fish is dead... so this topic is close for now. But just one last question before i close it. Some of my main tank fish have gotten ich. I'm currently in the process of raising water temperature. I just want to know if my fishs are capable of withstanding 86ºF ? I have 2 kissing gouramis and 2 cobalt gouramis and 1 clown loach.

Sorry to hear about the gourami, good luck with the other fish and the ich. You can turn the temp up a degree every 6 hours if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom