Sick Skunk Cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ET318

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I have a problem with my skunk cory.

I noticed about 3 hours ago that my skunk cory is sick. It is not moving very much but when it does move it can't seem to swim properly. It sort of twirls in the water when trying to swim and often lands on its side. Then it just lays on its side for a few minutes before trying to right itself. I've noticed that its ventral fins seem to be almost constantly pointed directly down and the right front side of the cory is a bit red with a small dark spot.

The water temp is 80F, the ammonia is ~0, the pH is 7.0, the nitrite is ~0, and the nitrate is somewhere between 10-80 (I can't tell the color difference).

The fish is in a 10 gallon tank which has been up for roughly a month and a half.

The filter is the Penguin 75 Biowheel Power Filter which filters 75 gallons per hour.

Currently there are only 2 fish in the tank: the sick Cory and a Dwarf Honey Gourami. The Honey Gourami has been acting completely normal and is no more than an inch and half long. I originally had 3 skunk corys and the honey gourami in the tank but the two other corys died. The first one died two weeks after the tank was set up due to some kind of growth on its face. The second one died 2ish weeks ago and I don't know why. It just suddenly got really pale and died. Now this one is sick and I just can't figure out why. All 3 corys have seemingly become afflicted with different problems.

I did a water change last night. I do a water change every 2 weeks and do 20% so 2 gallons. The fish was acting normal last night when I did the water change.

I have had the fish about a month and a half. This is the first time this specific fish has had any visible problems.

Nothing new has been added to the tank besides water during the water change.

I have been feeding the fish once every other day and feed them micro pellets. Nothing has changed for their diet and they have been eating like this for 3-4 weeks.

I would really appreciate any help. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I don't know why I can't seem to keep corys alive. I feel really bad about this whole ordeal. Unfortunately I do not have a quarantine tank. I have plans to get one but have not had the chance to actually do so and I am not in a position to acquire one for a couple weeks. I have ice water ready if I need to euthanize the fish. I would obviously prefer that it just becomes healthy again, but I don't want it to suffer when there is no chance of it getting better.

would you be able to post a picture of the fish? You mentioned a redness and dark spot, if we can figure out what this is then we will (hopefully) be able to find a medication to treat it with.

Unfortunately the fish died within 10 hours of me noticing symptoms. I also couldn't seem to get any good pictures when it was alive.

Sorry to hear that, I hope the honey gourami is doing okay. I'd reccommend looking into getting a couple more so that the fish is not alone. Sorry for your loss :(

Back
Top Bottom