Zebra Danio - old age or physical damage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cwt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Two 'unhealthy' posts in one week! I am *not* on a roll here.

In the 30G tank I have 3 species, but the dozen danios are the predominant one in it. The juveniles which were hatched almost 4 months ago now look like they're in puberty... instead of just waiting for food, they're now aggressively chasing the females and each other around like the adult males always have.

I think this chasing may have damaged an older danio though; it's a long-fin, that was adult when I bought it. It is floating around more than swimming, twitching its neck to one side only, and apparently can't swim in a straight line; attitude varies between straight up and straight down. There aren't any wounds or obvious disease issues on the fish.

The other fish are still hassling it too. Should I remove it to the sick tank (which is full of Maracyn for the rainbowfish, mentioned in another thread) and let it hang out there? I don't know if it's had a stroke, busted neck, or what else it could be. :confused:

Edit: water params are 0, 0, and near 0 on the nitrates... the java fern eats up most of the NO3 here.

Last edited:
What is the minimum age of the fish?

Zebra danios only have about 2 years in them. After that they will often get a curved spine and die.

Reactions: cwt
Thanks for the reply. I've seen that mentioned before, and wondered whether the spine curved horizontally or vertically. In this case, the head is turned about 10-20 degrees right of center, no vertical curve that I can see.

it's in the sick tank now, which has better lighting; still don't see any other visible problems. I've had the fish 5 months, and it was roughly the adult size that it is now; so I'm guessing based on the growth of my smaller ones, that it is at least a year old.

Back
Top Bottom