Apista?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi can anyone tell me how to identify apista anemones? I just got some new live rock and im new to saltwater fish. There are a couple small anemones on it im not sure if i should be concerned or not

Yes. These guys can easily spread and overwhelm a tank, stinging fish and corals. You can either use a product like aiptasia-x or joe's juice or by injecting their mouth with boiling water or lemon juice. Do not try to pull, scrape, or remove the anemone in any other way as each shard or broken piece of this glass anemone will become yet another anemone.

Have u had any expierence/success with Nudibranch Berghia - Aeolidiella ?

You would buy a creature to eat a single aptasia and then starve it to death instead of killing it yourself?

I would leave it in for about a week or untill i dont see anymore then bring it back to the fish store
Im not sure how many there are in the tank right now but there are a bunch

Oh. Well, the nudibranch may or may not eat them, but you can easily kill them with any of a number of solutions.
Kalkwasser mixed into a thick paste squirted all over the anemone.
Lemon juice injected into the anemone
some have had luck with injecting boiling water
I have killed them by injecting alkalinity solution (soda ash)
There is a product on the market called "aptasia x" that seems to work well.

Even after all of these are dead, if you stay in the hobby for a while, you'll definitely see more here and there. I would manually kill them and then keep a treatment on hand for future applications.

What u said does make sense never-mind im going to try injecting boiling water

Joes juice works wonders. I read somewhere online about squirting them with vinegar but it only shriveled for about a month and then came back. After that I just decided to buy joes juice cause I know there will be more eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom