Are you good at identifying Acropora?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked this up at the LFS today for $55. He said that it is a "deep water" acropora. I hope he didn't just say that because he knows I have VHO and T5HO 6.4wpg. If you have an idea what type of Acro it is please let me know. The LFS owner told me with my lighting to put it towards the middle or middle/lower part of the tank. I am kind of questioning that advice so I put it at the top regardless of what he said. That picture is less than 5-minutes after I put it in the tank. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1405.jpg
    IMG_1405.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 51
Without a much better picture and more information of where it was collected, it is anyone's guess; however, here is a site to help: Coralsee

That's an great price for that size coral. Can't help with the ID, but look at the site that Innovator linked to help you try to identify. Of course the first thing you need to know is the aproximate area where it was collected.

I have no clue where in the world it was taken from so I asked www and this is the response I got from Bob Fenner, below.

As far as the price it actually started at $65 but I traded in an ugly frag I bought off ebay that looked nothing like the picture. So he knocked off $10 from the original $65. I have been buying too much coral lately I actually wrote on my calendar "do not buy anymore coral until this week" which is 3-weeks from now. So addicting!

Here is Fenner's response, so I will keep the colony where I placed it up top.

<Mmm... is of the genus... but judging by the color, not "very"
deepwater>
<Wit the stated type and intensity/wattage light I would place, keep
this colony where you have placed it... near the waters surface. Wherever
the original biomass was collected, the shape, growth, color of this
specimen shows that it is "used" to this sort of positioning. Bob
Fenner>

Good Luck with your 'mystery' coral. Gosh! it looks like it'll be ready to frag before too long (hint, hint, hint). Keep AA in mind when you get ready to frag!

Good idea about the calendar....I hopefully my husband doesn't come up with the same idea....not sure I could last that long....Yes, I admit....I'm a coral junkie!

Yeah not really an id huh. Like others said its probably close to impossible to get a 100% positive ID off the picture. There are probably some acros out there in the ocean that still have not even been ID'd yet. But he says it is in the "deep water" genus.... kind of. Thats good enough though, because it means my LFS did not tell me a story, and it should keep good color in my system.

Maybe, out of those two it looks more like caroliniana.
Devilishturtles- I see what you meant now. "Is of the genus..." all that is saying is that it is an acropora and thats it. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom