Brown or corraline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matusewicz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is this normal brown algae that will pass or is it corraline that will start changing color? it's the rock and sand on the bottom not the rocks on top.

Attachments

• image-3748678969.jpg
    image-3748678969.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 154
Those are diatoms. They'll go away once they consume the silicates in your system. Not much to do besides waiting.

So nothing will eat it? Cuz that would be great. Also, is it a result from over feeding? I try to feed several TINY meals a day.

No, it happens to every tank, especially when it's new. Just wait it out. It's not caused by overfeeding as they consume silicates...not fish food/waste.

I'd just wait it out, they will disappear on their own, no need to add critters to eat it. :) I hate how it looks too but it always disappears so i don't stress it. lol

My blue legged hermit crabs have munched on it. But there's really no need. It'll go away pretty quickly. You can always siphon it out if it bothers you that much. But remember, nothing good happens fast in a saltwater tank!

I went and got some astrea coralline margarita snails and they are polishing it away!

darkprincess said:
I went and got some astrea coralline margarita snails and they are polishing it away!

They will little to nothing to clean up Diatoms. Florida Dwarf Cerith with mow then down for sure. They will get into every nook and cranny of your rocks to clean it they are awesome but can be all over your tank.

Never heard that. Always heard its normal and will dissipate unless the snails eat it...

Back
Top Bottom