Can anyone identify this coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I brought this coral, I was told the name but have forgotten what it was can anyone tell me what kind of coral it is.
It's got a hard surface and occasionally will open up into a bunch of little tentacle looking arms.
Thanks,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 137
It could be a hammer coral but it doesn't look very happy to be honest. What I can see is its skeleton. Has it ever fully opened? Was it fuller in the store?

it was fully opened in the store but closed up when it was put into the bag, it has its moments where it will open up for a few hours but lately it has been completely closed and doesnt seem to want to open back up

also if anybody knows types of conditions they like would be appreciate, i have medium light low flow at the moment

I have a couple of hammers that enjoy medium flow and quite a bit of light, I have them mid way in the tank running LEDs...

okay illl change my light and put my LED light on the tank and see if that makes abit of a difference, do you know whether or not they thrive better on live rock or in sand? been looking info up and what they told me at the store seems to be completely wrong.

I have the standard fluesant lighting on atm the moment and have white LED and blue, ill sit it on the rocks

Do you know the type of LEDs? Any technical details about them? You may be best to run both the Fluro and the LEDs. Is it your first coral? Can you tell us more about the tank?

I'm not to sure about the lights I'd have to find the boxes them came in, sure it's a 200L tank filled with live rock 3 other corals and shrimp in it at the moment

Cool. So it's a fairly new tank? Would be a good idea to check your lighting out as most corals are photosynthetic and require the right lighting to survive ;)

I had it running a cycle for about ten weeks prior to adding any life so fairly new in some cases, ill definitely try get into of the lighting, also if its moved could it unsettle it causing it to close up? If so that might be the case for me

Yup, it will close if you move it. I usually give corals at least a day in one spot. When first placed in the tank I give them 3 or so days to get comfortable...

okay sweet i'll leave it to sit and settle for a little while and see how it goes, thanks for your help!

hey i'm a newbie, will someone PLEASE tell me how to start a discussion. i'm on not on the app, but I don't know where to go to start a discussion. HELP!

Choose which forum you'd like to post in then above all the discussions on the left should be a little button which says start a discussion

thanks but I can't find the button that says 'new thread'. I went into the green thing that said free aquarium advice but then I don't know which thing new thread is under. I have tried new posts, community, search and quick links but its not under any of them. :(

Back
Top Bottom