Clear tubes growing out of my live rock??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petewyo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all, I'm new to the forum and to saltwater tanks in general. I have a small 36 gallon tank that I have had up for about 8 months now, and have had live rock for about 6 months. I noticed a few days ago that one of the rocks has a lot of small translucent tubes with what looks to be white dots on the end. The center of the mass that the tubes are coming out of looks almost like "goo", and the tubes fully retract when something comes near. One of the entities has a circular reddish base, and is flat on the rock, only the tentacles are protruding. They are, at the moment, relativly small. The tentacles are only extended about 1 to 2 cm, and is about an inch in diameter. I have not seen anything growing on my live rock since I got it, so it kind of freaked us out a bit. There must be seven or eight of these "masses" on only one of the rocks, and has just appeared in the last week. I've looked at a ton of pics of aiptasia and haven't really found any matches, but again, I'm pretty new to all of this. Any thoughts? :confused:

Here's a link to some pics I uploaded to photobucket.

Pictures by petewyo - Photobucket

Back
Top Bottom