Coral Id please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Picked this up cheap as the employee said it was actually a peice off a bigger frag that was messed up. Forgot what it was but noticed some of the reddish parts either turned orange and seemed to get polyps or just fell off. Some of the areas are also starting to look like they're peeling and I'm not sure if that means bad news or growth with this specimen and I'd like to look it up.
Thanks​

Attachments

• IMG_20170616_213618.jpg
    IMG_20170616_213618.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 60
thanks, got it a bit ago from the LFS. As I said it was a piece off a larger dying piece that broke so they gave it to me cheap. It seems to be decent in my tank (I guess). Some of those DARK red areas turned lighter and polyps seemed to start coming out while other thinner pieces just fell off. I noticed some peeling at the base and wanted to research what might cause it. I did use coral glue to glue it to that rock though as my turbo snail was knocking it over constantly.

Well it's pretty beat, that's for sure. Polyp extension is a plus. As long as the tissue stops receding, it will recover.
What color are the polyps? The more I think about it, the more I think it is a non-photosynthetic coral.

Well it's pretty beat, that's for sure. Polyp extension is a plus. As long as the tissue stops receding, it will recover.
What color are the polyps? The more I think about it, the more I think it is a non-photosynthetic coral.

the polyps are white. I dont believe its photosynthetic.

Actually, the polyps being white tells me that it is non photosynthetic. Makes me think you have a chunk of a blueberry sea fan.

Looks like it!

Thanks!!!!!

Now to research. Hope I can boost it back

Good luck. NPS are hard to begin with. Getting a coral already that far down the path of death is always difficult, be it RTS or whatever the case may be.

Honestly if it's a blueberry Sea fan I'd just count your losses especially in that shape. People with systems setup for nps still have a hard time with that gorgonian.

well for what i paid, Im not going to fret over it, but Im not going to just count my losses either. If it dies Ill know its not just me. If I can keep it alive Ill know Im lucky. Its been in there a while now. I usually spot feed coral frenzy, use fuel and now seachem phyto all in alternate days. It seemms to like the phyto additive as the polyps have seemed to pop out when feeding with that, but I guess it could change its mind. I also dropped a mysis cube in last night and they seemed to come out, could have been coincidence tho.

Back
Top Bottom