Cyanobacteria or just hair algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Strawman

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is this algea?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120207_200626.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120207_200626.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 129
  • ForumRunner_20120207_200654.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120207_200654.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 118
Hair Algae. Nitrates and Phosphates are likely to be the cause although a test of your water will usually show low nitrate levels as the algae is consuming nitrates.
A good source of RO/DI water should prevent this from occurring, until then you may be better off removing the algae manually either by pulling it off the rocks or just removing the rocks and scrubbing them down to remove the algae.

paulace2372 said:
Hair Algae. Nitrates and Phosphates are likely to be the cause although a test of your water will usually show low nitrate levels as the algae is consuming nitrates.
A good source of RO/DI water should prevent this from occurring, until then you may be better off removing the algae manually either by pulling it off the rocks or just removing the rocks and scrubbing them down to remove the algae.

+1 I agree.

paulace2372 said:

What is RO/DI water actually ?

Reverse osmosis water or distilled water, or some RO units have an additional distiller on them also but are pricey where I'm from.

That is one nasty case of algae. Water changes run something to help take out the phosphates I use phosoban, reduce lights if possible and more water changes. I find it best to do several small ones rather than one large one on my tanks when I get something like that happening. Test your ro water and your container you mix in for tds too.

What type of cuc do you have and how big is your tank?

The worst part is that isn't that bad from what my LFS reef tank. I bought a candy cane frag off of them and didn't realize how bad it was until I put it in my tank. It had 10 trumpeting heads and it was all surrounded and covered with the stuff. It didn't survive.

Fifty five gallon. I had a decent clean up crew but I have this infestation of snails that seemed to be one reproduction steroids. So they beat everyone out. As for an ro/Di unit that's next on the list.

Candy cane is really sensitive to even low levels of organics in the water. What is your phosphate, nitrate, etc? The algae indicates there is a source of nitrogen in the water, so that can come from poor makeup water, overfeeding, poor filtration, or the tank could be cycling. Try to remove it and monitor water quality.

Back
Top Bottom