Hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanaticSyd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a growth of hair algae on some live rock. It is still small right now and I am scrubbing it with a toothbrush, but what are the best ways to permanently take care of it?

If it's green hair algae, Amano shrimp and juvenile Siamese Algae Eaters will eat it. (Adults don't as I recall and can become pains as they get older.) You might want to cut back on your lights and do extra water changes to get surplus nutrients out of the water, too. :fish1:

I have a growth of hair algae on some live rock. It is still small right now and I am scrubbing it with a toothbrush, but what are the best ways to permanently take care of it?

Saltwater tank?
Get a few blue legged hermits.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's Ok about the freshwater advice. I can get the hermits the first week of April. Are there any other hermit crabs that also eat hair algae? My tank is small (less then 30 gallons) so I definitely need something tiny. Would a snail be better, and should I get it online or at my LFS?

bigger water changes to remove excess phosphates that feed the hair algae
no need for snails or hermits , lighten up on your feedings along with water changes will have you back to normal in no time

Last edited:
Oh good. How often do I need to change the water when the algae is still here, and when it's gone? I have a 28 gallon stocked with a Royal Gramma and a Percula clown.

Back
Top Bottom