help blue ring octopus!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
magandang gabi :mrgreen: , lady elizabeth(sorry thats all the tagalog I know). Man thats a pretty crazy story! Hope no one got injured. Are most LFS like that in the PI?Do you know if there a company down there that exports fish or LR to the US?One day I will go back to the PI and get my hands on some stuff over there..so cheap too :D

sadly i learned that 1 octo survived. no one wants to mess with the corals and rocks to find the octopus because they are scared. :( well pisces not all LFS here sells blue rings (Thank God!) my friend bought it from Cartimar where lots of Petstores are placed side by side. the place has been raided in the past for selling exotic animals but the stores would open again within weeks... :( anyway next time you visit here try to see Boracay and Palawan for some great beaches. i'll try to ask if any of my friends know a company who export fish and LR. :D

Yep, there's no antivenon for the blue ring...the poison is too fast acting, and most people get bit while in the ocean...so they'd never make it to a hospital for antivenin in the first place.

Also, keep in mind the poster lives in the Philippines where things like blue ring octopi aren't regulated.

I do not see a problem with the LFS selling the Octos in this situation. Since they informed the buyer it was poisonous, they did their part. It is then up to the buyer to keep the critter safe + provide and appropriate home along with keeping themselves safe from the critter. I feel that someone purchasing livestock has to be just as responsible (if not more so) than the person or LFS selling it.

Yes, but a civil injury trial would never see it that way.

and thats what wrong with america !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole Civil injury trial reminded me of something. A bit off subject, but roll with me here...

I heard of a case recently where a minor leauge baseball player sued the Louisville Slugger company because this person (the pitcher) got hit with a ball hit by the batter!!!

How is that Louisville Slugger's fault?!?!? Shouldn't the pitcher be sueing the batter? I guess the batter doesn't have as much money as the baseball bat company does. And I guess people don't think that injurys should EVER happen in a professional sport.

Soon we are going to have burglars sueing homeowners because guns fired by the homeowners at the burglar while standing in the bedroom doorway caused physical injury to the burglar...oh wait...they already do that.

God Bless America!

I heard of a case recently where a minor leauge baseball player sued the Louisville Slugger company because this person (the pitcher) got hit with a ball hit by the batter!!!

How is that Louisville Slugger's fault?!?!? Shouldn't the pitcher be sueing the batter? I guess the batter doesn't have as much money as the baseball bat company does. And I guess people don't think that injurys should EVER happen in a professional sport.

Soon we are going to have burglars sueing homeowners because guns fired by the homeowners at the burglar while standing in the bedroom doorway caused physical injury to the burglar...oh wait...they already do that.

:| :| :| :| :| :| :|
That is just horrible that people sue for things like this.

PS. Remember to sue Mcdonalds if you spill hot coffee on yourself! (not really)

my issue with the LFS selling blue ring octos isn't that they're toxic it's that they are endangered.

Ultimately if people want to find ways to injure themselves they are going to do so. As long as the pet store did it's part by warning him, they did did their part.

Please don't mistake me for being cavalier but I'm tired of people trying to sue at the drop of a dime. "so you were told that the creature was poisonous" "yes" "you took it home anyway" "yes" "But now you want to sue because the creature is poisonous" "yes" It makes no sense. But that's what people do.

Incidently, it's possible to survive a bite from a blue ring, treatment is artificial respiration. If the victim survives 24 hours they usually make a full recovery. I looked up on the Australian costal website thingamabob.

Remember to sue Mcdonalds if you spill hot coffee on yourself!
rev if i remeber right it went down as the driver was handed the hot coffee thru the window and the lid wasnt on tight and or they didnt make sure the person had a good hold on it and it spilled on them ! id be pissed to ! had them do that with a large orange drink which half spilled all over my new car ! i thru the drink back thru the window ! when they tried to give me my change it was soaked with orange drink ! i refused it and had them call the cops ! when that happened and i explained how the drink was handed to me and the lid wasnt even on ! the other manager gave me clean money and asked if i wanted to file a complaint which i didnt !
but here in illinois we no longer have any head surgons south of springfield due to people sue so many of them ! it got out of hand and so sad that most just want a quick buck !

Remember to sue Mcdonalds if you spill hot coffee on yourself!

Goosh Steve, I was just joking!! :mrgreen:

Well if that is the way it went down, I agree with it. But you are right about money hungry people who sue a the drop of a hat. :wink:

wasnt knocking you ! just remember it :) and back then their coffee was real real hot and that person got burned real bad ! now their coffee is half as hot ! and they hand drinks with the cup holders now !

scuba_steve said:
if i remeber right it went down as the driver was handed the hot coffee thru the window and the lid wasnt on tight and or they didnt make sure the person had a good hold on it and it spilled on them ! /quote]

accually thats not what happened. the person driving was disabled and while she was driving the coffee spilled in her lap and she was not able to detect the damage being done till it was to late.
Originally she only wanted medical bills paid, (which were substantial) but when McDonalds refused to pay them twice, a lawyer convinced her to go for the big bucks. (at least thats the story from a lawyer I knew onece)

even still, she should have known better than to drive with a coffee cup between her legs. stupid people, stupid law suits.

now back to the poisonous Octopus! :wink:

Here in Canada, we have legislation that restricts claims and frivolous suits, but I am still against shops selling significantly toxic animals to just anyone.

i agree that sellers should not sell poisonous animals and consumers should stop buying them... as you know my country is very poor and not all people know how to use the computer and internet, so they could not research on the animals they purchase. Sadly some buyers are like this, and i have experienced LFS trying to fool customers. :( :( one of my friends bought a spotted clown and the LFS told him it's a lapu-lapu.

Back
Top Bottom