help with blenny id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chevstankovski

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got this fellow out at crowdy bay earlier today,i know he is a type of horned blenny,cause i got one of them id'd a while ago,he is leopard spotted,sandy colour with aqua green couluring mixed thruoghout his body with blue tip along his dorsel,seems to be getting on with other blenny,in third photo its the one in the back

ForumRunner_20130316_161505.jpg

ForumRunner_20130316_161533.jpg

ForumRunner_20130316_161550.jpg

I got this fellow out at crowdy bay earlier today,i know he is a type of horned blenny,cause i got one of them id'd a while ago,he is leopard spotted,sandy colour with aqua green couluring mixed thruoghout his body with blue tip along his dorsel,seems to be getting on with other blenny,in third photo its the one in the back

If you really want to know exactly what fish it is, you could PM Tony Gill- he's a marine taxonomist and always knows what they are because that's his actual job. :)

So they come in different colourings,like the one in the foreground is sandy brown to pink with light greenish markings,the new ine is grey to off white underneath with aqua coloured markings,other than colour differences they are the same fish

Toby gill I dunno how to talk to him direct but could you id this fish for me?

Attachments

• image-2682879076.jpg
    image-2682879076.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 123
Favonigobius lentiginosus - eastern longfin goby. I'm assuming it's from the east coast of Australia, but let me know if it isn't as there is a similar species (F. lateralis) on the south and west coast.

Tony (or Toby if you prefer!)

Okay. Perth makes it a little more complicated, as there are a couple more species to consider, and I can't see some of the details I need to see. If it has an obvious dark spot on the rear part of the first dorsal fin, I would say Afurcagobius suppositus rather than a Favonigobius species. What I can see of the dark spotting on the base of the tail is also more suggestive of A. suppositus.

Tony

Hey tony I googled some images and I'm still not to sure it's fins are all see thru and I got another pic of him for you a bit more close up

Attachments

• image-3324737569.jpg
    image-3324737569.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 97
Okay, that photo helps a lot. I can now see the caudal coloration a lot better, and also count the dorsal-fin rays. It's Favonigobius lateralis. (Some references may have this species in a different genus, Papillogobius, but most goby researchers now consider Papillogobius a synonym of Favonigobius.) This species is pretty easy to keep in an aquarium, and males can pick up some nice coloration. There's a nice shot of one here: Favonigobius

Tony

That's a bummer. My guess is that your tank may not have finished cycling.

As for images of Afurcagobius suppositus, I suspect the photo given on Fishbase (and various other sites that have copied the image, such as EOL) is not A. suppositus, but an exotic (Japanese) species of Gymnogobius. Gobies are prone to being translocated in ballast water of ships. For example, there are several Japanese species in Sydney Harbour.

Tony

Hey tony quick question I couldn't figure out any other way to contact you and sorry if this annoys the original poster but tony do you know what this is and could you please give me any info on it thanks in advance

Attachments

• image-2749365467.jpg
    image-2749365467.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 69
I'm not sure what you want identified. The blue and yellow fish is Parma bicolor, but I figure you probably already know that one. If you mean the greenish brown beastie, it looks to be a nudibranch. I'm not great on identifying inverts, but there are a good number of websites devoted to nudibranch (and other opisthobranch) identification. If you caught it locally, type in Western Australia and nudibranch and you should end up with some reasonable websites to check out. I'll take a look as well.

Tony

Sorry I wasn't more specific it is the brown long long thing it can contract to about one centimetre and expand to about 3 when it's contracted it can't have the little antennas out like it does now

Attachments

• image-3948828472.jpg
    image-3948828472.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom